Home Open Account Help 286 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Another morning, another picture of London Bridge

Date: 11/13/12 14:42
Another morning, another picture of London Bridge
Author: 86235

Lovely morning today as I waited for my train to work, the 07:42 to Brighton.

A Southeastern train to Charing Cross is approaching platform 6, the green signal on platform 5 is for the 07:38 to Tunbridge Wells, whilst from the low level station on the right (the ex LB&SC terminus) the 07:36 to Caterham and Tattenham Corner (the train divides at Purley) is leaving platform 8 (London Bridge doesn't have a platform 7 at the moment). In the distance another South Eastern train bound for Cannon Street is approaching from Spa Road Junction and passes an outbound train to Gravesend via Sidcup.

A typical early rush hour on one of the busiest commuter railways in Britain, the great third rail at work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/12 14:45 by 86235.

Date: 11/13/12 16:45
Re: Another morning, another picture of London Bridge
Author: westernking

very nice Nick , very dramatic scene.
Andy

Date: 11/13/12 23:56
Author: McKey

Wow! What else can I say.

Date: 11/15/12 06:31
Author: YG

The magic of sunlight!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 11/15/12 07:56
Author: spflow

Wonderful picture, which beautifully captures the feel of November mornings in London.

Can I be lightheartedly provocative? How many people are really interested in whether the train in the distance goes via Sidcup, or that the train on the right divides at Purley? Isn’t this the kind of obsessional detail that gives us old trainspotters a bad name?

I do ask this as a longstanding offender in this department.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/12 07:57 by spflow.

Date: 11/15/12 08:51

In the case of Sidcup simply to avoid the possibility of ever going there.

I guess every morning I hear the announcements, and as the trains don't make much noise the digitised voices of the announcers become the music of the railway. And I always like to know where trains are going.

Date: 11/15/12 09:27
Author: spflow

Your absolutely right about Sidcup, and I too love hearing the announcements - even better before they were automated, but were a sing-song recital of familiar names by a real human. It's just that I get such a ribbing from my wife and daughters that I've developed a sensitivity to being seen as over-nerdy!

Date: 11/15/12 20:33
Author: 567Chant

That pic is delicious!
...Lorenzo

Date: 11/22/12 13:57

spflow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and I too love hearing the announcements - even better before
> they were automated, but were a sing-song recital
> of familiar names by a real human.

Yesterday I was at London Bridge later than usual, Southern were having some problems on the South London Line to Victoria, consequently the digitised women announcer started up 'Southern regret that the 10:41 to Victoria is.....and then someone in a Darth Vadar voice came on and said...CANCELLED' Made me laugh.

Date: 11/23/12 14:21
Author: Focalplane

Nick, do you mean that when they made all the possible variations on a recording, they forgot the ultimate? Ph, well, par for the course as the golfers say.

Date: 11/26/12 02:53

No, usually the pre recording includes the 'c' word. Someone was having a laugh.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds