Home Open Account Help 397 users online

European Railroad Discussion > 60163 Tornado

Date: 12/01/12 03:17
60163 Tornado
Author: 86235

This morning LNER-design A1 Pacific 60163 Tornado ran through London on an Ipswich to Bath & Bristol Cathedrals Express, here she is approaching Caledonian Road and Barnsbury, laying down a sulpherous exhaust in the frigid air which moments later the 4L89 Coatbridge to Felixstowe had to penetrate.

Date: 12/01/12 06:56
Re: 60163 Tornado
Author: McKey

What a feeling in these pictures! Great work Nick!

Date: 12/01/12 07:51
Author: OCVarnes

Thank you for posting your excellent photographs.

I have two questions. What is the purpose of the two levers in the center of the smoke box door, and the small white lights above the pilot beam.

Charles Varnes
San Dimas, California 91773, USA

Date: 12/01/12 08:01
Author: CPRR

Charles,the handles on the door are the locks. You tighten down the larger one to close the smokehouse door, then the smaller one locks the larger handle.

The lights are British running lights. If I remember, normally British locomotives did not have lights. In the olden days, it was up to the driver to "know his territory", and be able to drive the route day or night.

Correct me if I am wrong Nick. BTW, fantastic photo. It should be a poster for sale on the Tornado site.

Date: 12/01/12 08:08
Author: YG

Photo #1 is fabulous!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 12/01/12 08:12
Author: 86235

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The lights are British running lights. If I
> remember, normally British locomotives did not
> have lights. In the olden days, it was up to the
> driver to "know his territory", and be able to
> drive the route day or night.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong Nick.

Thanks.

You are absolutely right, the lights, which would mostly have been oil burning were primarily used to indicate to signalmen what the train was, the arrangements of the lights (or discs by day) indicated the typw of train and the route. Having a fenced right of way there was not the need for headlights that there is in countries where the RoW is unfenced. Today all trains are equipped with a bright LED, as you cansee although primarily this is to be seen rather than to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/12 08:13 by 86235.

Date: 12/01/12 09:21
Author: DWDebs/2472

The overhead catenary high-voltage lines sure are close to the chimney (smokestack) etc!

I've seen photos of the red enamel "lightning bolt" high-voltage warning signs on British steam locos before, but I didn't realize how close they really are!

- Doug Debs

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0574 seconds