Home Open Account Help 254 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Wonderful Stockholm!

Date: 03/11/14 17:25
Wonderful Stockholm!
Author: spflow

We have just returned from an incredible week in Stockholm and Copenhagen. I am ashamed to say that this is our first visit to Scandinavia, even though it is less than a thousand miles from London. The Stockholm metro is of particular interest, as it cut through solid rock, quite unlike the London Underground. A a result the stations have some very dramatic bare rock faces, or sprayed concrete presumably to stabilise more friable materials.

Of course, we took plenty of pictures, here is brief selection:

Pics 1-3: Highlights of the Metro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/14 04:55 by spflow.

Date: 03/11/14 17:33
Re: Wonderful Stockholm!

Pic 4 A little corner on the Metro

Pic 5 A very long escalator

Pic 6 Stockholm Central main line station. The power car for our train to Copenhagen, with the remarkable City Hall behind.

Date: 03/11/14 17:39

Pic 7 Tilting bogie of the SJ2000 trainset power car.

Pic 8 Gothenburg station (model in the National Architectural Museum)

Pic 9 Lovely tram

Date: 03/11/14 17:41

And finally.....

Pic 10: old trackwork on the quayside. Is this original?

Date: 03/12/14 07:23
Author: McKey

Great to notice you two at least partly sunny weather. And thank you fro sharing the pictures! Hope next time the sun will shine even more. Winter can be quite rainy and summers are most of the time sunny in most of the Nordic.

For the next visit to Nordic countries: Finland and Norway are well worth visiting too!

Date: 03/12/14 07:33
Author: Torisgod

This makes me want to visit Stockholm! The metro looks extraordinary. Photo 5, of the escalator, contains an interesting optical illusion: I wouldn't have believed that it's an escalator if it hadn't been mentioned. It looks like a horizontal corridor. The tenth photo, of the tracks on the waterfront, makes me think of San Francisco.

Tor in Eugene

Date: 03/12/14 12:25
Author: icancmp193

Don't stand on the rail :-)

Tom Y

Date: 03/12/14 13:49
Author: 86235

Stockholm is one of my favourite European cities, glad you had a good time. Did you go to the Vasa Museum?

Date: 03/13/14 14:13

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stockholm is one of my favourite European cities,
> glad you had a good time. Did you go to the Vasa
> Museum?

Yes we did - the high point of our visit! I would recommend it above any of the public transport sights.

Date: 03/14/14 04:29
Author: 86235

spflow Wrote:
> Yes we did - the high point of our visit! I would
> recommend it above any of the public transport
> sights.

Absolutely, an extraordinary thing to see. I can remember it being recovered.

Date: 03/14/14 13:39
Author: McKey

Anyone spot the funicular near the Wasa museum?

Date: 03/16/14 06:38
Author: sventomas

spflow Wrote:
> And finally.....
>
> Pic 10: old track work on the quayside. Is this
> original?

Yes, used to be tracks for freight waggons destined for the Finland traffic. There was a movable bridge at Stadsgården (in the background).Waggons were taken East for a mile then on a connecting track around Södermalm with connection at Stockholm Södra through a freight tunnel.

To0m

Date: 03/25/14 17:32
Author: dendavis

Great series. We took that trip in 2005. The high speed line loaded on a separate track in Copenhagen, one had to take an elevator from the train platforms for local trains, up to a higher level. Since it was used less frequently, it was a gathering place for those wanting shelter while smoking some of the product now common in WA and CO. After being enclosed for some time, on a hot summer's day, we opted to take the stairs and hump our suitcases up to the next level.

Loved the trip, went thru gorgeous scenery.

Trip back from Stockholm was strange, just after we departed, some desperate soul decided to commit suicide by jumping off an overpass onto the high speed tracks, just behind our train. We were not told of it until we were nearing the west coast, when we were advised that the investigation of the incident would require all high speed trains to stand down. We were transferred to a local to cross the bridge. Suddenly going from first class reserved seats to scrambling for whatever was open became one of those moments of family lore. We were fine, as were all the late afternoon commuters who joined with us.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds