Home Open Account Help 300 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Scarborough Flyer Routing Around Manchester?

Date: 03/14/14 23:10
Scarborough Flyer Routing Around Manchester?
Author: tq-07fan

Although I have almost no interest in actually riding on this excursion I will likely be in Manchester on the first Friday in August where I could easily photograph this Scarborough Flyer. I plan on catching the Friday morning only Northern Rail Ghost Train (2J45) at Reddish South later on in the morning at 10:20 am. This should be easy enough to get about two hours before that and maybe ride a couple buses in between. Would this Scarborough Flyer http://www.railwaytouring.net/uk-day-trips/scarborough-flyer operate on the same line from Stockport to Stalybridge that passes through Reddish South, Denton and Guide Bridge?

I know, I am cheap and nuts for being more interested in riding on a Pacer unit to Stalybridge for £2.70 instead of paying £66 to ride behind steam to York but what are you going to do?

Jim

Date: 03/15/14 03:34
Re: Scarborough Flyer Routing Around Manchester?
Author: andersonb109

I don't think you're nuts at all. I don't see the pleasure in being cramped into four seats at a table all day. You hardly know what's pulling the train. Better to chase. Normally I'd say contribute something to the operator. But this isn't a charter run by a volunteer or private individual. It's main line steam run by a major touring company and Nigel Dobbing doesn't need the extra money. Plenty of profit built in as it is. We chased the entire Scotland portion of the GBIV and it was great fun. So chase and enjoy. (someone else will have to provide details on the routing).

Date: 03/15/14 09:02
Author: spflow

It's the age old problem - without enough people paying £66 to ride on the steam train, there wouldn't be one to photograph, but not everyone can even begin to afford it. Personally I think there is nothing to beat the experience of being on board, but you do need to be a bit childishly delinquent at times, and stick your head out of the window! Over the past 40 years I have ridden on hundreds of main line steam trips, and have always been struck by teh huge turn out of observers, some serious photographers, but more usually just well wishers or casual bystanders who cannot resist a beaming smile as the train goes past. I think you just have to do what you can, and patronising the Pacers probably does more benefit to the community than riding on a steam special.

In answer to your specific question, the website http://uksteam.info/tours/trs14.htm gives the steam programme for the whole year, and nearer the date of operation the actual timings. The timings page includes links to the real time recording of the train's progress, but all thsi info is only available a few days before the train runs.

I think it's just great that people want to come over from the US to watch our trains, however they do it.

Have a wonderful trip!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/14 09:19 by spflow.

Date: 03/15/14 13:06
Author: Hartington

Just a word of warning uksteam.info may not have times until a couple of days before operation (I've seen it go right to the wire at 24 hours before). Once they are on uksteam you can search for them on www.realtimetrains.co.uk which should give even more detail and, once the train starts moving, should also show the actual progress. realtimetrains is very good but you sometimes have to interpret it a bit. Although the Flyer is a passenger train it may appear as "FRGT". Alternatively it may have a code along the lines of 1Z20. I've also seen trains listed on uksteam and had to search on more than one of the timing points they quote before I can find the train on realtimetrains.

Finally, remember that the empty coaches and the locomotive have to make their way to and from the starting point. uksteam will list those times as well and you can cross refer onto realtimetrains. The loco itself may need to come from anotehr part of the country and they can be found on uksteam (but in a separate place from the train itself!).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds