Home Open Account Help 358 users online

European Railroad Discussion >

Date: 03/17/14 16:21

Author: kevink

During a ten-day trip with the family to Ireland back in 2004, I was able to get away for the better part of the day and dive from Ballybunion over to Mallow. Mallow sits on the Cork-Dublin mainline and is also a junction with that runs west to Tralee via Killarney. Locals from Tralee and Cork turn and Mallow and head back to their origin stations.

First up was DMU from Cork and another from Tralee. The third image is of the Cork DMU getting ready to head south.

Date: 03/17/14 16:23

While waiting for the next train, I took a few shots of the station area. First shot is looking south from the pedestrian bridge. The second image is of the track in the station. After a while, another DMU from Cork arrived.

Date: 03/17/14 16:26

CIE 078 was sitting in the station. I'm not sure what its assignment was but a crew showed up and after awhile headed north as CIE 201 showed up with a Dublin-Tralee train.

Date: 03/17/14 16:29

Since I needed to head west anyway, I headed from Mallow to Rathmore. I arrived a minute before the train did. It made a quick stop to pick up the gentleman on the platform.

Date: 03/17/14 16:34

I did not expect to catch up to the train again. The road does not follow the tracks very well. To my surprise, I found the level crossing at Farranfore was just being closed by the railroad employee. Fortunately the station parking was on the same side of the tracks so I parked and hustled up the stairs to the pedestrian bridge. In a few minutes, the 201 showed up for its station stop which lasted several minutes.

Date: 03/17/14 16:37

The length of the station stop gave me more than enough time to get from the pedestrian bridge down to the road to get a shot of 201 and the gates that cross the road. There was quite a line of cars waiting for the train to pass but no body seemed to be in a hurry.

Date: 03/18/14 05:40

Author: GettingShort

Nice series of pictures. It's always nice to see loco hauled trains in Ireland.

Date: 03/18/14 07:39

Author: ATSF3751

It seems little odd that a relatively small island like Ireland went to wide gauge track, while GB went standard gauge.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds