Home Open Account Help 229 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Brand, spanking,new.

Date: 03/19/14 08:36
Brand, spanking,new.
Author: Hartington

Colas (one of the smaller freight/infrastructure operators in the UK) has just started to take delivery of their Class 70s. They're currently running around my part of the world. Here are 2 of them top and tail of a ballast train heading for Dawlish (where the railway was breached by the recent storms) through my local station at Castle Cary.

Date: 03/19/14 21:27
Re: Brand, spanking,new.
Author: GettingShort

Very nice. Certainly wish I was there.

Date: 03/20/14 05:21
Author: CIT1023

I like your picture, and the location but I have to say that the locos leave cold. I'm sure we had something similar roaming the rails some years ago, Ah yes it was called a class 58.
Once again great photo.
Regards,
Keith G, London, UK

Date: 03/20/14 05:25
Author: 86235

CIT1023 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but I have
> to say that the locos leave cold. I'm sure we had
> something similar roaming the rails some years
> ago, Ah yes it was called a class 58.

I think they were both better looking and less flammable.

Date: 03/20/14 08:48
Author: Hartington

The nickname of the Freightliner class 70s is generally "Ugly". Some people started calling the Colas versions "Cugly" but there's another faction using "Warthog". If I had to choose I'd probably choose Warthog.

Date: 03/20/14 11:21
Author: 86235

I've also heard them called Bettys as in Ugly Betty and Fugley - you can work that one out.

Date: 03/21/14 14:11
Author: marku51

This did go down to Dawlish, or at least most of the way. They are really going like crazy there--with two weeks left until the 4 April deadline I think that they will make it, at least as far as the track is concerned. There are some additional problems with the signalling that might take a bit longer to work out though.
I think that the Colas scheme suits the 70s better than the Freightliner green--I think all of the contrasting colours and lines distracts from the general 70s look.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds