Home Open Account Help 385 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Hungary Day 3

Date: 03/22/14 15:12
Hungary Day 3
Author: 86235

Day 3 started in ho hum style. The weather had worsened since the almost summer like temperatures of the previous day, Wednesday was more like mid-March. But it was bright and, at times, sunny and there wasn't any rain but it was windy and much, much colder. I set off east towards Komárom, Tata and Tatabanya. I managed to get spectacularly lost in Tatabanya without finding the location I wanted so set off back to Komárom where there are some pleasant curves and the River Danube to try and factor in to pictures. In the event I spent much of the rest of the day in Komárom owing to a dearth of westbound freight activity in the early to mid afternoon.

Local service between Komárom and Budapest is nowadays provided by these Stadler-built Flirt EMUs.

In Komárom itself a wagonload freight rounds the curve which leads the line away from the River Danube

This was a surprise, operated by a Prvá Slovenská železničná from Slovakia, 468 002-4 a CKD (Czechoslovakia) built former T478 class on a transfer across the Danube to Slovakia

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/14 01:30 by 86235.

Date: 03/22/14 15:24
Re: Hungary Day 3

Privately preserved by the Nohab GM foundation M61 class 618 010 passing through the old fortifications on a pair of tanks. What this was doing I have no idea, was it in revenue service or what?

An Intercity service from Budapest to Sopron and Szombathely, the loco, 480-005, commemorates the 555 anniversary in 2013 of the coronation of King Matthias Corvinus. I have to admit the history of the Hungarian monarchy is a gap in my knowledge so I had to look him up on Wikipedia. As monarchs of the time go he appears to have been a relatively progressive (no more merciful beheadings, that sort of thing). Mind you he had a penchant for titles, being King of Hungary, Bohemia, Dalmatia, Croatia, Rama, Serbia, Lodomeria, Cumania and Bulgaria, Prince of Silesia and Luxembourg, Margrave of Moravia and Lusatia. Phew, imagine signing all that.

And finally back to Nagyszentjános and a stopping train to Budapest taken at 17:40 as the sun was setting

Goodbye Hungary for now.

If anyone is interested the remainder of day 3 stuff is here http://nick86235.smugmug.com/Trains/2014/Hungary-2014/i-2mCdRzd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/14 01:04 by 86235.

Date: 03/23/14 03:49
Author: bobwilcox

Great sunset shot.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 03/23/14 05:09

Thanks Bob

Date: 03/23/14 08:18
Author: GPutz

Thanks, Nick. Now I'm hungry for more. Gerry

Date: 03/23/14 09:36
Author: Latebeans

<being King of Hungary, Bohemia, Dalmatia, Croatia, Rama, Serbia, Lodomeria, Cumania and Bulgaria, Prince of Silesia and Luxembourg, Margrave of <Moravia and Lusatia. Phew, imagine signing all that.

Good thing they didn't have telephones, I would have hating being his receptionist.

Date: 03/23/14 10:53

GPutz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now I'm hungry for more. Gerry

Thanks Gerry, me too. Think Slovakia may be my next destination. The region round the Tatra Mountains looks particularly scenic.

Date: 03/24/14 06:09
Author: GettingShort

Ummm nice Goggle Cab!

Date: 03/24/14 20:41
Author: airbrakegeezer

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Think Slovakia may be my
> next destination. The region round the Tatra
> Mountains looks particularly scenic.

It certainly is, Nick. And if you visit Strbske Pleso (a winter sports resort), you can get there from the mainline railway station at Tatranska Strba in the valley below by a funicular, which at the top connects with a 750 mm gauge electric railway that runs along the face of the mountains at a more-or-less constant altitude, through the "Tatransky narodny park" (Tatra National Park), leaving the park and turning downhill at Stary Smokovec and eventually turning downhill (southward) to re-connect with the main line in Poprad at a very interesting two-level station, where the narrow gauge comes in on an enclosed bridge over the mainline track, at right angles to the main line. When I was last there about ten years ago, the older "rounded-style" vehicles (resembling PCC streetcars) were supplemented by one brand new low-floor LRV -- although of course I would much rather ride on the older cars! There are dozens, if not hundreds, of well-marked walking paths throughout the park, and also outside it; the people are usally very friehdly and the scenery is truly spectacular. Since my wife and I were on a guided tour, I did not have much opportunity for railfanning, but there is a railway museum in Petrzalka (just across the Danube from Bratislava, and only 40 miles or so from Vienna), and there are several "museum railways" around. Enjoy!

Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer)

Date: 03/24/14 23:53

Thanks Roger, that does sound enticing.

The other attraction (for me) is the electrified 5' gauge iron ore railway which connects Kosice in eastern Slovakia with Ukraine. That would be interesting to see too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/14 06:32 by 86235.

Date: 03/25/14 11:08
Author: Geodyssey

Great photos, makes me want to visit Hungary again.

Date: 03/25/14 11:42

Thanks, glad you like them.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds