Home Open Account Help 363 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Stormy Saturday

Date: 06/09/14 13:22
Stormy Saturday
Author: 86235

We had a very stormy morning in East Anglia on Saturday with warm humid air, lightning and heavy rain, at times the raindrops were the size of dinner plates! It was rather exciting. I went out and whilst not rewarded with any trains actually in the rain I took this shot of the 07:50 Peterborough to Ipswich cantering across the fens whilst the first of the morning's thunderstorms headed north.

Later in the morning I followed the box wagons (gondolas in North American parlance) of the 6L85 Warrington Arpley to Middleton Towers empty sand train, here arriving at Middleton Towers during a brief interlude between deluges.

Come the afternoon it was all change, the storms drifted north, the sun came out and temperatures climbed to 23C. So I went out again and followed the loaded train, seen here on the mainline south of King's Lynn entering the single track section at Downham Market. Sand is billowing off the box wagons - heaven knows what % is lost in transit.

First week of June has been quite fun, with some decent weather http://nick86235.smugmug.com/Trains/2014/Summer-2014/

Date: 06/09/14 15:07
Re: Stormy Saturday
Author: 55002

Good collection of shots, Nik. If Network Rail don't start cutting some trees back, I'll be ringing the Samaritans! Chris UK.

Date: 06/11/14 09:05
Re: Stormy Saturday
Author: GettingShort

Really nice!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds