Home Open Account Help 334 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Recognition Help Needed

Date: 06/17/14 10:40
Recognition Help Needed
Author: McKey

It looks like I'm having tough time trying to figure out what loco type this is. Somehow I have a feeling that it is from Germany, but is it? Any guesses and info what it might be are most welcome!

Oh, the SSAB steel company furnace loco is quite at home withing the strong fumes in this location. It is used as a switcher and even switching the hot steel slab cars from the furnace.

Date: 06/17/14 12:00
Re: Recognition Help Needed
Author: chs7-321

Looks T44-like......

But there are some German industrial designs that look like this as well.....seen it before, forget the designation.

Date: 06/17/14 12:14

Yes, the form is pretty much the basic Swedish heavy switcher but once you start looking at the details, nothing looks any more familiar. The Swedish "Ts" are also twice as big and with American engine technology I imagine they are many times more powerful too.

Can you remember where you have seen this in Germany?

chs7-321 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks T44-like......
>
> But there are some German industrial designs that
> look like this as well.....seen it before, forget
> the designation.

Date: 06/17/14 12:22
Author: Steinzeit

I believe this locomotive was built in Sweden in 1961, VM [ Falun ] s/n 800, ASEA s/n 1540. It is a near sister to [ the former ] TGOJ 851, which later went into industrial service.

SZ

Edited to add VM s/n

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/14 12:32 by Steinzeit.

Date: 06/17/14 23:07

Thank you Steinzeit! Now that you wrote down the basic facts I managed to catch other data on this contraption too :)

It is hard to find stuff on many fallen flag manufacturers, Falun locomotive works being just one of those. Quite surprisingly this locomotive has / had Scania 16 cylinder engine and is diesel-electric. Looks like only 7 were built.

Now that the facts are found I will document this to 4rail.net Swedish diesel locomotives reference, so other people like us have it easier to dig up facts: http://www.4rail.net/reference_sweden_locomotives_diesel1.php

Steinzeit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe this locomotive was built in Sweden in
> 1961, VM [ Falun ] s/n 800, ASEA s/n 1540. It is
> a near sister to [ the former ] TGOJ 851, which
> later went into industrial service.
>
> SZ
>
> Edited to add VM s/n

Date: 06/17/14 23:19

Some more from the switching. Looks like the engineer is playing with his pad, not concentrating driving? Or is he watching the picture of remote video for the other end of the train of 4 mixed freight cars? I think this must be the latter as many cameras in the area exist so it would be easy to direct picture from these to where it is needed. An ingenious innovation! Or what can you see in the pictures?

This is one of the rare pictures from LuleƄ. It took three yearly attempts for me to find the right spot, but as usual trying enough helped for the positive end results :) . All I had to do was narrow down the area, watch carefully Apple maps (a lot better than Google in "remote" areas) and pictures on the net. So I managed to pinpoint where the hot steel slabs come out of the furnace. This gave something like 100 meters / 300 feet accuracy for the location. After that it was easy: jump over the moat between the trackbed and road, push through the small bushes (incredibly dirty here) and scale the 60 degree slope of the trackbed up 20 meters / 65 feet. Voila! The perfect spot, perfect timing with perfect infernal fumes (like on of my friends describes these clouds) behind the loco! Search is over :) Happy hunting to others with similar tasks of finding rare rolling stock!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0695 seconds