Home Open Account Help 267 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Two RR scenes & questions from Ireland

Date: 07/12/14 12:50
Two RR scenes & questions from Ireland
Author: Pattenburg

Spent a week over in Ireland and had two opportunities to visit the Dublin's Lansdowne Road and Killarney stations.I was fortunate to photograph these two trains and have some questions regarding what I photographed. Hopefully someone "across the pond" can provide some answers to my questions.

1. The first image is of a DART train stopped at the Lansdowne Road station in Dublin on July 5th. Its final destination is Howth. Is DART a different transit company than Irish Rail? Regarding the equipment, trains running on this line were green in color. Yet driving through Dublin, I saw a yard that had what looked like orange colored commuter cars. Unfortunately my view was obscured by a high brick wall.Does the different colored equipment have any special significance?

2. Image 2 was taken in Killarney on July 1st. On the platform was two separate phrases. "Fan Taobh Thiar Den Line Seo" and "Seachain An Bhearna" which I was told is Irish. So my obivious question is what do those phrases say? Any information regarding the equipment seen would also be appreciated.

Thanks for any information that is provided.

Date: 07/12/14 17:44
Re: Two RR scenes & questions from Ireland
Author: kevink

DART is Dublin Area Rapid Transit. It is separate from IrishRail. The orange equipment is IrishRail but I believe these cars are being retired. Newer IR cars are painted similar to the DMU you saw in Killarney.
Signs in Ireland by law must be in English and Gaelic.
"Fan Taobh Thiar Den Line Seo" = Stay behind the yellow line
"Seachain An Bhearna" = Mind the gap

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Date: 07/12/14 18:56
Author: Pattenburg

Thanks for this information, much appreciated.

Date: 07/13/14 01:47
Author: 86235

The DMU is Korean, built by Rotem. Apart from the cross border Enterprise and Dublin to Cork all other IE passenger trains are MUs.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0569 seconds