Home Open Account Help 266 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Burlington John in Europe Vol 1

Date: 07/15/14 23:47
Burlington John in Europe Vol 1
Author: burlingtonjohn

Going through some ancient slides this evening from way back in the day. As an introduction, I joined the Navy in September 1981 and from February 1982 through February 1984, I was assigned to USS Puget Sound (AD 38), the Sixth Fleet flagship homeported in Gaeta, Italy. Gaeta was a small town 'bout halfway between Rome and Naples. To get anywhere, you had to take a bus to the train station in Formia and from there, you could go north to Rome or South to Naples. We would make regular trips to Naples as that was where the Navy Exchange / Uniform Shop were located. That I had to ride a train really broke my heart. Ha.

Over the next couple of installments, I'll be posting some of the pictures that I took in Italy and other locations around the Med. Back then, I didn't date any of the slides (and the date stamp on the slide was not reliable). I had absolutely no clue as to what I was shooting. 99% of the Italian rail (FS?) pictures that I shot were either in the Formia or Naples area but due to my advanced CRS state, I hope that you experts on Italian/French, etc, rails can fill in some of the pieces as to what I actually saw!

Let's get this party started!

Regards,
Burlington John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/14 23:48 by burlingtonjohn.

Date: 07/18/14 12:46
Re: Burlington John in Europe Vol 1
Author: Krokodil

Looks like a FS class E.428 for 3000Volt from the third series, built in 1943 with 3800hp and top speed of 130km/h, axle arrangement was 2-Bo-bo-2, driver diameter 70"!
Thomas Eckhardt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/14 12:53 by Krokodil.

Date: 07/20/14 18:25
Author: burlingtonjohn

Thanks Thomas!!!!!

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 07/21/14 12:49
Author: Steinzeit

I hope you'll be posting more soon; Italian railways were under photographed in my opinion.

Best, SZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds