Home Open Account Help 235 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Visit to Switzerland

Date: 07/17/14 09:23
Visit to Switzerland
Author: Krokodil

A visit to Switzerland must include train shots! Here some pictures from the narrow gauge (80cm) Wengeneralp Railroad (WAB). This line connects Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald to the summit at Kleine Scheidegg (starting point of the famous Jungfrau Railroad. With 11.8 miles length, it supposedly is the world longest rack and pinion railroad, although trains actually do not cross the entire line but stop at Kleine Scheidegg and return to their respective starting points. The WAB still employes some older (1960) train sets, some even in their original livery, with minor modifications such as destination indicators.

Picture 1: Two of the 1960 trainsets are waiting in Wengen, the left units has been modernized, including a new pain scheme.
Picture 2: A 1970 composition descends into Wengen station
Picture 3: A 1970 composition climbs up frm Wengener Alp to the summit at Kleine Scheidegg

Thomas Eckhardt

Date: 07/17/14 09:37
Re: Visit to Switzerland

Picture 4: A freight unit with some gravel hoppers unloads its cargo in Wengen. As Wengen is car-free, the railroad provides
a vital freight service, frequently passenger train push an open low sided gondola up the hill.

Picture 5: Instead of lengthening trains to increase capacity, the WAB deploys multiple fixed train sets, so its common to
see two or three train sets following each other up or down the hill. This makes meets some time interesting. Here
at the Mitteluswych (middle siding) between Lauterbrunnen and Wengen, a mixture of freight and passenger trains
take the siding.

Picture 6: The first uphill unit has arrived, while downhill units still arrive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/14 09:41 by Krokodil.

Date: 07/17/14 09:41

Picture 7: The downhill trains still block the line, but as all uphill trains are in the clear, the train procession
downhill continues and will shortly clear the line.

Picture 8: Moving downhill
Picture 9: Now all the trains are moving

Date: 07/17/14 09:52

Picture 7: The Schynige Platte railway, still employes electric train sets dating back to the time of electrification in 1914.
This arrangement of locomotive and psssenger cars, was were common for early cog railroads, bithe the WAB and the
Berner Oberland Bahn (BOB) emloyed similar sets (except that the passenger compartment was enclosed).

Picture 8: The Jungfraubahn (JB) transports the visitors to a lofty 11,000 feet into the middle of snow and ice. Whereas most
of the line is in a tunnel, the line like here at Kleine Scheidegg provides great photo opportunities. The Eiger
mountain with its famous north face is in the background. This line has 100cm gauge and runs on three phase AC.

Picture 9: Lots of activity at the train shed at Kleine Scheidegg, all units are of the older 1960 type.

Date: 07/17/14 09:58

Picture 10: A different trip on the Matterhorn-Gotthard Railway (formerly Brig-Visp-Zermatt Bahn), here the train is moving
towards Zermatt. This line has 100cm gauge and has both adhesion an cog sections.

Picture 12: A short station stop at St Niklaus with its stately wooden station, a window back in time!

Picture 13: A meet with a modern MU composition

Date: 07/17/14 10:02

Picture 13: Meet with the Glacier Express, heading towards Zermatt

Picture 14: Glacier Express with modern panorama coaches

Picture 15: Start of a rack section. This line employes the rack system "Strub" with two racks.

Date: 07/17/14 10:09

At last some pictures from the official Swiss Railway (SBB):

Picture 16: A Cargo series 420, for a change leading a passenger train in Zürich Main Station.

Picture 17: A series 420 in a modernized paint scheme in Zürich. Interestingly the unit is labeled Re 420 on the side,
revoking memories the original designation of RE4/4II.

Picture 18: A TGV LYRA (joint venture between Swiss ad French Railroads) in Zürich, ready to leave for Paris

Thomas Eckhardt

Date: 07/17/14 10:15
Author: wag216

Many, Many Thanks! I can not get to see these anymore (old age is the pits). wag216

Date: 07/17/14 23:19
Author: mundo

Thanks a bunch for this series. Changes since I rode it in 1954.

Date: 07/17/14 23:39
Author: 567Chant

Thanks for the details, especially the end-of-cog shot.
...Lorenzo

Date: 07/18/14 07:18
Author: YG

Very nice photos!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 07/18/14 15:04
Author: kennbritt

In April of 1983 I took the cog to Jungfrau. When we got out and walked around the station area a hang glider launched from the cliff side. Truly a most beautiful vista from up there. I also visited your borail site moments ago. Very, very impressive. Thank you for sharing the trip and layout photos.

Ken Britton
Bedford, TX

Date: 07/18/14 18:11
Author: tq-07fan

I friends who have been to Switzerland many times over. I have seen so many pictures of Switzerland I will probably never have to visit the place myself. The Jungfraubahn is always one I like seeing pictures of. The two wire insulated overhead reminds me a bit of trolleybus overhead.

Jim

Date: 07/21/14 17:32
Author: dbrcnw

Enjoyed the photos which reminded me of riding many of those lines years ago.

DaleR

Date: 07/26/14 09:55
Author: TrackOne

Thanks for the Swissneyland Pix !

Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0635 seconds