Home Open Account Help 261 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Yesterday Across London

Date: 07/27/14 01:18
Yesterday Across London
Author: tq-07fan

Landed at Heathrow early on Virgin Atlantic. Customs and Immigration went smoothly for so many people. Since I have a BritRail pass this go round I chose Heathrow Express to London Paddington.
1) Big add on the wall of the Heathrow station for Heathrow Express.
2) Heathrow Express 1Y38.
3) Interior of Heathrow Express First Class. I don't know what the standard class is like but if it were not for the pass I would have rode the Heathrow Connect or London Underground.

Date: 07/27/14 01:20
Re: Yesterday Across London

From Paddington I rode the London Underground to Kings Cross. I'm not sure what happened with this train stopping and turning into a District Line train at Edgware Road.
4) The Heathrow Express 1Y38 I had just rode, First Great Western 1G21, 1C10 and 1A75 from near to far.
5) FGW 1G21 and HX 1Y38, that 1G21 was a bit strange to identify as there was another train farther back that used the same platform right after the picture was taken.
6) London Underground. As I was not sure of East Coast Trains schedule I didn't take but only this one LUL pict.

Date: 07/27/14 01:22

I got to Kings Cross in ample time. I could have taken an East Coast HST and even though I am an HST fan I waited for something pulled by electric traction. About three hours from landing to taking of north from Kings Cross, not bad in my opinion.
7) This is a station my dad and I did not use last year but is basically the start of my trip this year. It is strikingly different then and now.
8) On the left Grand Central 1N92 to Sunderland and East Coast Trains 1D11 11:03 to Leeds.
9) I took the 1D11 to Doncaster.

Date: 07/27/14 01:23

Along the way north on the East Coast mainline a few shots. Doncaster I will have to post later. It is unreal.
10) Peterborough is the northern terminus of First Capitol Connect, the EMU yard.
11) Greater Anglia 1L75 getting ready to traverse one of Nick's favourite lines.
12) East Midlands Class 158 on the 2S15 from Nottingham to Skegness outside of Grantham.

Thank You for looking!

Jim

Date: 07/27/14 09:48
Author: YG

I especially like the station shots. Looking forward to seeing more from your travels...

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 07/27/14 13:19
Author: wag216

Great stuff! Send us more! Thanks wag216

Date: 07/27/14 20:14
Author: Lark

Beautiful station!

Date: 07/27/14 23:17
Author: cashfare

Good job, Jim! Did not know you were heading back already.

Date: 07/28/14 01:21
Author: 55002

Great photos, hope you had a good trip on the East Coast, passing through my home town of Wakefield! Enjoy Leeds. Chris UK.

Date: 07/28/14 01:46

Thank you all. Well it will be a bit before I get more pictures on here. The East Midlands Trains DMU is a harder find due to industrial action that has started today.

http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/information/media/Disruption-Information/Unite-union-strike-action-changes-to-train-services-from-Sunday-27-July-until-Thursday-31-July/

It changes how I can go and see things but I think I can make it all happen. I guess I will be enjoying East Coast some more today, weather I wanted to or not.

Jim

Date: 07/30/14 09:47
Author: CZ10

I've ridden the standard class from Paddington to Heathrow and
found it similar to your photo. The cost of the service was
much less than it would have taken for a cab between the two
points. I'd certainly take it again.

- Bruce

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3) Interior of Heathrow Express First Class. I
> don't know what the standard class is like but if
> it were not for the pass I would have rode the
> Heathrow Connect or London Underground.

Date: 07/30/14 16:44
Author: symph1

Once Crossrail opens, will there be Heathrow Express trains to other stations in London?

Date: 07/31/14 00:18
Author: 86235

symph1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once Crossrail opens, will there be Heathrow
> Express trains to other stations in London?

There will certainly be Crossrail trains to Heathrow, replacing the Heathrow Connect service. Not sure whether HEX will expand its operation.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1135 seconds