Home Open Account Help 362 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Day trip to Crewe

Date: 08/03/14 03:27
Day trip to Crewe
Author: 3rdboxcar

Had a day trip out to Crewe Heritage Centre yesterday to do some more measuring for the 3D printing project I am working on building and APT. It was a mixed bag weather wise from drizzle to downpour to sun.

York station is about a 25 minute walk for our house so I can usually arrive just in time for my train.

1 - A quick shot of DRS loco's stabled in the old parcels siding, with the new Network rail training centre in the background.
2 - my ride to Manchester on First Trans Pennine 185111.
3 - interior of 185111

Date: 08/03/14 03:34
Re: Day trip to Crewe

Had a 35 minute wait at Manchester Picadilly station for my connection to Crewe.

1 - 2 Virgin 390 Pendolino's, an Arriva XC [cross country]221,an Arriva trains Wales 175 and a Northern rail 323 all sit at the buffers {bumping posts]
2 - My ride from Manchester to Crewe on Virgin Pendolino 390107
3 - Interior of a Pendolino in Standard class.

Date: 08/03/14 03:40

Arrived at Crewe to rain.

1 - London Midland 350104 waits for it's next turn of duty.
2 - Virgin 221 [super voyager] in Bombardier vinyl's, I suppose you can try and fool people, this is a 10 car train with every car having a diesel engine mounted underneath running under the wires to London for just over 160 miles, definitely for a greener planet!!!
3 - Crewe still retains the compressed air buffer stops [bumping posts].

Date: 08/03/14 03:45

The purpose of the visit Crewe heritage centre.

1 - picture not taken yesterday but it shows the APT with a Pendolino passing to the right just after leaving crewe station.
2 - class A4 60009 "Union of South Africa" was being prepared for a trip on Sunday.
3 - view into the rear of the tender, the A4's had a corridor through the tender so crews could change en route without stopping.

Date: 08/03/14 03:48

Crewe North box is part of the heritage centre and is still fully working although not connected to the national network.

1 - The signal cabin.
2 - The relay room underneath.
3 - A room in the box is occupied by the NMRA.

Date: 08/03/14 03:53

Back to the station for the journey home.

1 - view from the window of the NMRA room looking towards Crewe station with a Northern Rail 323 unit from Manchester.
2 - Virgin 221 at Crewe station with the driver [engineer] giving the windows a wash.
3 - back in Manchester the sun was out for a sid eview of the main terminus of the station.

Date: 08/03/14 03:56

The final shots at Manchester before another downpour and my trip back to York.

1 - Northern rail 150137 approaches the station.
2 - Virgin 390153 basks in the sun before it's next run to London.
3 - First trans pennine 185147 sits in the rain before departing for Liverpool.

Hope you enjoyed the journey.

Date: 08/03/14 15:17
Author: tq-07fan

Nice story and pictures. I was sound asleep when you went past my hotel window in Manchester.

Jim

Date: 08/04/14 01:23

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice story and pictures. I was sound asleep when
> you went past my hotel window in Manchester.
>
> Jim

I noticed your pics the other day from the Macdonald. If I had known you were still there I would have chucked a stone at your window to get you up.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0611 seconds