Home Open Account Help 348 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Contrasts at Jenbach (in F major!)

Date: 08/10/14 05:38
Contrasts at Jenbach (in F major!)
Author: spflow

There have been previous posts about this wonderful junction in the Austrian Tirol, where two narrow gauge lines converge on the main line. so no claim for originality.

The steam loco is a rack and pinion engine with a 2:1 gearing, on the metre gauge Achenseebahn.

I couldn't resist the musical sounds from the electronics of the Taurus - so near the setting of the Sound of Music!

This clips are from June this year.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/10/14 07:44
Re: Contrasts at Jenbach (in F major!)
Author: YG

Like the 2:1 gearing...

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/10/14 13:56
Author: andersonb109

And the narrow gauge Zittlerbahn is just on the other side of the main line. Although not mountain climbing, still a very interesting and long ride.

Date: 08/10/14 14:06
Author: 86235

That looks like Zillertalbahn stock in the background. Shame that most of the Inntalbahn freight is now routed along the new line which is mainly in tunnel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/14 14:08 by 86235.

Date: 08/11/14 13:14
Author: Phil1

I was impressed with how quickly that engine got its 10 car train moving up to speed. I have never traveled on rail there,but suspect that speeds greater than 79 or 90 occur in places.

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

Date: 08/11/14 18:00
Author: ironmtn

Phil1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was impressed with how quickly that engine got
> its 10 car train moving up to speed. I have never
> traveled on rail there,but suspect that speeds
> greater than 79 or 90 occur in places.

It is impressive, as is the "musical scale" it played. I've never heard a European motor make transition like that. Is that characteristic of the Siemens Taurus model? I've only ever heard a loud, irritating hum in increasingly harsh frequencies. The sound that your video depicted was much more pleasing.

Also, that OBB paint scheme for the passenger cars is very sophisticated and attractive. Multi-tone greys in wide bands (think: NYC, SP and CN in the past here in North America) always do well. When offset by red like that it's especially nice.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 08/12/14 05:41
Author: McKey

Thank you spflow for the videos at Jenbach!

I could not resist adding one picture from my collection too, courtesy of tracks@3rdhand.net . This one is showing 0-4-0T "Hannah" pulling coaches uphill to mountain.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds