Home Open Account Help 317 users online

European Railroad Discussion > City of Preston in Preston and More

Date: 08/16/14 13:43
City of Preston in Preston and More
Author: tq-07fan

Continuing from two weeks ago, Saturday 2nd August 2014 http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,3489359. After riding the replacement bus from Prescott I took a Virgin Trains Pendolino from Wigan North West to Preston. The first three are at Wigan North West.
1) First Transpennine Express from Manchester to Blackpool North.
2) Northern Trains Class 156 from Wigan North Western to Liverpool Lime Street. This train will be on diversion due to the electrification.
3) Virgin Trains 9S80. I took this train to Preston.

Date: 08/16/14 13:46
Re: City of Preston in Preston and More

I spent Saturday night in Preston.
4-6) The Pendolino I was on was nameplated for City of Birmingham, and the train was routed through Birmingham.

Date: 08/16/14 13:48

7-9) On the Southbound platforms the City of Preston in Preston. I thought it was a neat catch for it just happening to be there when I arrived.

Thank You for Looking!

Jim

Date: 08/17/14 03:54
Author: 55002

Great trip. I like Preston station very much. It's light and airy with plenty of trains. Chris uk

Date: 08/17/14 09:06
Author: eminence_grise

My family heritage is all Lancashire, and with many family members from around Manchester, I learned many of the northern sayings and legends. A Lanchasire saying for "never or almost never" is "as common as a Preston guild". The medieval guilds later became trades unions, fraternal organisations like the Freemasons, and professional organisations. I never did find out why Preston was singled out for this criticism. Others would use the phrase "once in a blue moon" to express the same sentiment.

I spent several days around Preston in 1968 photographing the end of steam on BR. In those days, it was a very sooty station in a city the had been blackened by factory smoke. In fairness, all the other industrial cities of Lancashire including Manchester and Liverpool were as dirty. Manchester looks totally different since the downtown was power washed.

My images are from 1968 in the very last days of steam. The first image shows a steam engine and some of Preston's many semaphores, the second shows a BR Yorkshire Engine Company 0-4-0 diesel mechanical. Some of these small diesels had very brief service lives with BR before being scrapped or sold to industrial users.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/14 16:41 by eminence_grise.

Date: 08/23/14 19:27
Author: westernking

Thanks for sharing the pictures of my hometown!
Andy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2507 seconds