Home Open Account Help 311 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Do I have to go back to Blackpool?

Date: 08/16/14 14:48
Do I have to go back to Blackpool?
Author: tq-07fan

Last September my dad and went to Blackpool to ride the trams. In summary I can say I liked Blackpool a lot better in pictures then actually being there in person. On Saturday 2nd August 2014 after dropping my bag at the hotel in Preston I got on the first train I could to Blackpool North. With the North West electrification project coming along I wanted to see how things were at Blackpool North. Blackpool North has to have one of the best remaining arrays of semaphores in the UK. I asked one of the station people if I could take pictures. i let her know I would be there around ten minutes, leaving on the 19:08 to York. She said yes and to hurry as she had a lot of people to load.
1) 1B35 to York on the left and the 18:57 2N88 from Wigan North West that I rode in from Preston.
2) Classic shot, for now. Blackpool North Station and Blackpool Tower in the background.
3) Signals pulled off, the 19:03 2F51 to Wigan North West starts to leave.

Date: 08/16/14 14:50
Re: Do I have to go back to Blackpool?

Please note although trainspotters are not given much hassle at most places in the UK make sure you ask before you take pictures at Blackpool North.
4-6) The 19:03 leaving Blackpool North. With the Northwest electrification all these semaphores should all be gone in the next year or so.

Date: 08/16/14 14:51

Whilst taking pictures of the 2F51 a lot of British Transport Police came out on the platform and boarded the 1B35, the 19:08 to York. I still got the 1B35, spending less then ten minutes in all in Blackpool. Inside the 1B35 was a number of somewhat loud intoxicated passengers. Not much of a problem for me but they made me feel better about getting off at Poulton-Le-Fylde as I had planned.
7) Layton, distant signal for Poulton-Le-Fylde. I didn't get off at Layton as very few trains stop there.
8) My Class 158 from Blackpool North at Poulton-Le-Fylde. Poulton-Le-Fylde is actually quite a lovely station.
9) The flower beds at Poulton-Le-Fylde looking toward Preston. Notice the starting signal has an attached white background so it is easier for the driver to see against the bridge behind it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/14 15:49 by tq-07fan.

Date: 08/16/14 14:53

Poulton-Le-Fylde I started to walk the wrong way to get to the overhead bridge west of the signalbox. I then found a footpath with a great view of the signalbox that runs along the south side of the tracks.
10) This is one of the things I wanted to get a picture of. This is a junction signal. The arm on the left is for the main line and it's mast is elevated higher than the arm on the right, which goes to an disused branch. The mainline semaphore has also been pulled off for a westbound to go toward Blackpool North.
11) Poulton No 3 signalbox with the disused branchline going off to the right. If this signalbox is Poulton No 3 I wonder where No 1 and 2 are?
12) Northern Trains 2N74 passing Poulton No 3. This train does not stop at Poulton-Le-Fylde, nor did the train that was lined up in picture 10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/14 15:43 by tq-07fan.

Date: 08/16/14 14:55

13) Poulton-Le-Fylde station, one of those stations that is entered from the road bridge.
14-15) Better looks at that semaphore.

Date: 08/16/14 14:57

It was time to go back toward Preston. Back in Preston I rode a couple buses then went to bed.
16-17) First Transpennine Express 1U79 19:48 to Manchester Airport.
18) Preston Signalbox.

I know I have to return to Poulton-Le-Fylde to see the outcome of signalbox and to get the after pictures but do I really have to go back to Blackpool?

Thank You for Looking!

Jim

Date: 08/16/14 19:40
Author: wag216

Do be, or Not to be? (Are you a traction fan or not?) I have been to Blackpool and would like to come again. I like trams. wag216

Date: 08/17/14 03:33
Author: andersonb109

Why can't some of our stations look like this with all the flowers?

Date: 08/17/14 03:56
Author: 55002

More super photos. Love the flower beds at Poulton. You did well with the semaphores at Blackpool. I have found the railway staff here the most miserable on the network, and rarely allow permission to get the photos. Chris uk.

Date: 08/17/14 07:52
Author: YG

Nice images!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/21/14 17:36
Author: Geodyssey

Beautiful photography. Makes me want to visit.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0967 seconds