Home Open Account Help 317 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Scandinavia Trip Part 1 - Roslagsbanan

Date: 08/18/14 21:44
Scandinavia Trip Part 1 - Roslagsbanan
Author: dwatry

On a recent trip to Scandinavia, I had the opportunity to ride a few unusual lines. Perhaps most unusual was the Roslagsbanan, which is a 3-line, electrified, narrow gauge commuter railway system, in Stockholm, Sweden. This line operates out of Stockholm Ostra Station, and is an 891mm system, which equates to 2'11" (English) or 3'0" (old Swedish). All services are operated by 3-car EMU sets, and service on the common trunk is very frequent - every 5 minutes or so in off-peak, more frequent in peaks. In the summer of 2014, one entire branch and the end of another branch were closed for major track rehab, but it was still a fun line to ride. Fares are integrated with the overall Stockholm system, so if you buy a "Stockholm Card" you can use this line as [part of the base fare.

1. Scene in Stockholm Ostra Station.

2. Northbound train at Viggbyholm.

3. Northbound train at junction at Djursholms Osby.

Date: 08/18/14 21:54
Re: Scandinavia Trip Part 1 - Roslagsbanan

Additional images

4. Map of the Roslagsbanan posted in the vehicles.

5. 2 trains meeting at Djursholms Osby.
6. Southbound train at Morby.

Date: 08/18/14 22:24

One other point - the Swedish railways, including the Roslagsbanan, operate left-handed. So if you are having trouble figuring out if the picture is backwards or not - it is not - the railroad is! This is a legacy from the 1960s - Sweden drove on the left until 1967, and the RRs are still set up for left-handed running, much the same as France.

Date: 08/19/14 03:42
Author: McKey

Thank you for views to Roslagsbanan dwatry! Always good to see those East German built trains on move. How many refurbished units did you notice when traveling, I can see only one in your pictures and there should be many more by now. Did you notice how well those X10ps and their coaches run on the track is kept in a prima condition, despite the high floors of the vehicles and narrow gauge?

Date: 08/19/14 07:31
Author: Latebeans

I was in Stockholm last year but I was unaware of this service. I'm sorry I missed it as it looks like fun. Thanks for the photos.

Date: 08/19/14 18:42
Author: Ptolemy

dwatry Wrote:
- and the RRs are still set up
> for left-handed running, much the same as France.

France, Switzerland, Austria, and Italy, as well as the UK and Ireland.

Date: 08/20/14 05:30
Author: 86235

Ptolemy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dwatry Wrote:
> - and the RRs are still set up
> > for left-handed running, much the same as
> France.
>
>
> France, Switzerland, Austria, and Italy, as well
> as the UK and Ireland.

Not to mention Belgium, Spain and Portugal.

I travelled on the Roglagsbanan on my first visit to Stockholm in 1978, from Ostra to Morby IIRC. In those days it was a veritable relic of old rolling stock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/14 05:35 by 86235.

Date: 08/20/14 07:49

Nick, would you have any pictures of the old wooden rolling stock?

Isn't Germany part of the left handed club too?

Date: 08/20/14 12:29
Author: march_hare

Left handed railroading is fine and good, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around how you can CHANGE from driving automobiles on the left to driving on the right. I remember as a kid hearing on the news that Sweden was doing that, but the more I think about it, the more mind boggling it becomes.

How did they rearrange all the signs/traffic lights, exit and entrance ramps (and drivers' brains) all in one fell swoop?

Date: 08/20/14 12:36
Author: nm2320

march_hare Wrote:
> Left handed railroading is fine and good, but I
> have a hard time wrapping my head around how you
> can CHANGE from driving automobiles on the left to
> driving on the right. I remember as a kid hearing
> on the news that Sweden was doing that, but the
> more I think about it, the more mind boggling it
> becomes.
>
> How did they rearrange all the signs/traffic
> lights, exit and entrance ramps (and drivers'
> brains) all in one fell swoop?

I recall that there was a 24 or 48 hour period that no one was allowed to drive (except, fire, ambulance) while certain changes were made.

Date: 08/20/14 16:03
Author: 3rd_Raton

nm2320 Wrote:

> I recall that there was a 24 or 48 hour period
> that no one was allowed to drive (except, fire,
> ambulance) while certain changes were made.

From left to right in Sweden 1967
http://youtu.be/Y8DqAIyuR0Q

Why do some countries drive on the left and others on the right?
http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

Now if you're wondering which side of the tracks European railroads operate on, here is a list of countries -
http://egtre.info/wiki/Category:Countries

Click on the countries name, followed by "general information", followed by "rule of the road"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/14 16:04 by 3rd_Raton.

Date: 08/20/14 23:50

I would point out that, although technically India drives on the left, the reality is that any side of the road will do :-)

Date: 08/21/14 00:18

Looking from the country next to Sweden, I think the story goes that to ease the transition the first day the trucks changed to the right side... ;)

march_hare Wrote:
> becomes.
>

Date: 08/21/14 09:39

McKey Wrote:
> Looking from the country next to Sweden, I think
> the story goes that to ease the transition the
> first day the trucks changed to the right side...
> ;)

Ho ho, I have a vague recollection that there was a spoof political party in Canada back in the 70s that advocated the same. They also wanted to move the Rocky Mountains because they spoilt the view.

Date: 08/22/14 06:56
Author: tq-07fan

march_hare Wrote:
> becomes.
>

Vancouver British Columbia Canada drove on the left until 1921. I have a friend who showed me trolley tracks that were unearthed during a bridge replacement that were still set up for left handed running.

Jim

Date: 08/25/14 02:44
Author: sventomas

The X10p werer manufactured by ABB/Hägglunds between 1990-95 and replaced the old SRJ stock of EMU, electric motors, open and closed vestibule coaches (both steel and teak) and Cab-control coaches rebuild in the 70s.
A refurbish program started some years ago among other thinsgs adding a centre door on the EMU's.
Enclosed two picture from Stockholm East stn (1961 and 2013).

Tom

Date: 08/25/14 04:52

Good corrections! Looks like AEG who manufactured track motors was actually at the beginning of the period West German company.

To me the X10p's their coaches look very obsoleted for the time as the low floored vehicles had been around for years already, this in enhanced with the narrow gauge used on Roslangsbanan. Was there a specific reason for this why the low floor technology was not used? Are there any plans of changing Roslagsbanan to run trams once the Lidingöbanan is finished?

sventomas Wrote:
> The X10p werer manufactured by ABB/Hägglunds
> between 1990-95 and replaced the old SRJ stock of
> EMU, electric motors, open and closed vestibule
> coaches (both steel and teak) and Cab-control
> coaches rebuild in the 70s.
> A refurbish program started some years ago among
> other thinsgs adding a centre door on the EMU's.
> Enclosed two picture from Stockholm East stn (1961
> and 2013).
>
> Tom

Date: 08/25/14 09:51
Author: sventomas

@ march_hare:
Yes we changed from left to right-hand traffic in the Fall of 1967. And without either head ache or hang-over!
Private vehicles were banned for a couple of days and speed limit was harsh. Sweden mostly had left-hand driven cars so suddenly drivers were on the right side. Streetcar disappeared in Stockholm, Malmö and Helsingborg and the last horse drawn distribution had ceased that night (horses couldn't cope with the new situation).
A high percentage of buses had to be replaced causing a downturn in sales for the next 15 years. New buses in 1964-66 had an auxiliary door on the left-hand side, 4-5 year old vehicles were rebuilt some with an extra door on the right-hand side or, some with a completely new front-end (My father was in charge of the rebuilding programme at Scania including coordination not only the bus factory but also garages and local builders all over the country).
The trains remained running on the left side (as did the Stockholm Metro)thus avoiding a costly change of signals. One oddball was the suburban No 12 tram in Stockholm. It started on its own grade from the Metro platform at Alvik but then had to change side after a mile for the street running.
Accidents went down and cars regained speed. I have been driving for 50 years of which 3 years on the left in Sweden. I still have no problem to change when visiting the UK.

Tom

Date: 08/26/14 03:36
Author: spflow

The "rule of the road" had (and has) little relation to the issues of railway running. Many West European countries had their first railways built by British engineers, who used the left side running rule. The same nations often used right hand road traffic, using Napoleonic traditions. However, the importance of a rule for roads has only arisen in the last hundred years with the growth in motor vehicles (look at India!). Railways have been around for almost twice as long.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0777 seconds