Home Open Account Help 369 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Finland: Jokioinen Museum Railway Steam Festival 2014

Date: 08/22/14 07:21
Finland: Jokioinen Museum Railway Steam Festival 2014
Author: McKey

Jokioinen Museum Railway is a living railway museum in the Southern Finland. A large number of enthusiasts run the railway with main line of some 9 miles / 14,5 kilometers in length. Each year several happenings are arranged, largest of which is probably the Jokioinen Steam Festival. This is a two day event when the lines are full of live steam trains (several running), and Minkiö station in the midpoint of main line is set a a stage for many kinds of events and museum machines operating. You can also try running a trolley and see how the locomotive & rolling stock works there operate. This year an American car show of some 200 vintage cars and motorcycles was combined with the happening making it even more interesting.

The weather was, how you put it, "favorable" as usual: full sun shine and +35 degrees Celsius / 95F. I bet the guys operating the steam machines were quite thirsty...

Next, a few pictures from the event for your enjoyment:

First the ex. Lovisa to Wesijärvi narrow gauge 2-8-0 steamer #6 with museum service is seen arriving to train meeting at Minkiö station.

Date: 08/22/14 07:23
Re: Finland: Jokioinen Museum Railway Steam Festival 20

A few more...

Date: 08/22/14 07:26

Watching carefully while running the train through a crowded area...

Plus feeding the wood burning machines with birch logs of birch tree...

Date: 08/22/14 07:26
Author: YG

Looks hot!

Hopefully you will post more photos of this event.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/22/14 07:28

Some of the other steam machinery, including a stone crusher...

Date: 08/22/14 07:29

Yes, just think about those machine operators! However, I think everyone was enjoying this event much...

Thank you for wishes, they are heard and more pictures are following soon...

YG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks hot!
>
> Hopefully you will post more photos of this
> event.
>
> Steve Mitchell
> http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/22/14 07:32

Anyone know if the water from this device is hot of cold? I can tell the guy operating this machine once every year was sweating this year...

Date: 08/22/14 07:38

Some of the non-steam machines...

What is the correct term for these "earth motors" in English?

Read the text on the bucket in the second and third picture, I wonder what this was used for here? I think the bucket must be authentic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/14 08:47 by McKey.

Date: 08/22/14 07:42

One of the numerous earth mowing equipment from my childhood era...

This truck uses wood burning gases as a fuel. Must be smelly since my dog is clearly interested in the truck too...

And last: All aboard!

Date: 08/22/14 10:46
Finland: Jokioinen Museum Railway Steam Festival 2014
Author: Milepost_130

Thanks for posting these images. Can you provide any additional details regarding the locomotives which were in steam at this event? Are all locomotives based at Jokioinen, or were some visiting from other museums / tourist railways? Were all locomotives Finnish?

Date: 08/23/14 00:48
Author: 86235

The tank engine in the eighth and the final picture is, I think, a 2-6-2T built by the Belgian loco builder Tubize after WW2 and was on the Welshpool & Llanfair until 2012 (?)

Date: 08/23/14 06:50

You're welcome! All the engines are normally on Jokioinen narrow gauge on one of its station, most likely Minkiö locomotive shed. Other machines except for railroad rolling stock were brought there from the nearby large agricultural museum and from their owners. This is an important yearly gathering, so if you can tolerate the heat, happening is well worth visiting next year in July!

Loomotives and other rollings stock are exchanged and traded between narrow gauge museums in Sweden, Finland, Estonia and Latvia so that a maximum number of rolling stcok can be preserved. Jokioinen museum currently has around 20 operating steamers about 5 diesels, a dozen trolleys (for visitors having fun) and lots of coaches and freight cars.

I was visiting the event just to write an article of it this year, so all the locos being heated up are not known to me, but let me guess what I don't know:

- Lovisa & Wesijärvi 2-8-0 in pictures at the top of the thread
- 0-6-0T Porter engine above
- Tubize 2-6-2T "Orion" #5, as Nick says once was in U.K. (Second picture)
- ÄSR 2-8-2T "Sohvi"#5 (Third)
- plus maybe one or two more, the line can't operate more at one time, but I think this is quite a festival even with these!

More information on Jokioinen can of course be found at 4rail.net, but they also have their quite nice own pages in English too: http://www.jokioistenmuseorautatie.fi/en/en-steamlocos.html

Milepost_130 Wrote:
> Thanks for posting these images. Can you provide
> any additional details regarding the locomotives
> which were in steam at this event? Are all
> locomotives based at Jokioinen, or were some
> visiting from other museums / tourist railways?
> Were all locomotives Finnish?

Date: 08/23/14 08:20
Author: GPutz

John, thanks for the memories. The Jokioinen is a fun place to visit. Gerry

Date: 08/23/14 20:22
Author: 1019X

Great photos! What is the track gage?

Charlie

Date: 08/24/14 07:16
Author: 86235

1019X Wrote:
> Great photos! What is the track gage?
>
> Charlie

30 inches, which is 750mm in metric

Date: 08/24/14 10:46

Yes, it was an excellent day with sun shining just right for picture taking a couple of years ago too!

It always amazes me how many people are actively working (free) around Jokioinen Museum Railway, which means the really get much done, like the ongoing steam locomotive projects and track extension at the southern end of the line. Plus all the other numerous tasks that need to be taken care when operating and maintaining this kind of property.

GPutz Wrote:
> John, thanks for the memories. The Jokioinen is a
> fun place to visit. Gerry

Date: 08/24/14 10:56

That is just the loco!

86235 Wrote:
> The tank engine in the eighth and the final
> picture is, I think, a 2-6-2T built by the Belgian
> loco builder Tubize after WW2 and was on the
> Welshpool & Llanfair until 2012 (?)

I added some pictures of another similar locomotive also there. The other one is kept for the moment indoors at the Jokioinen locoworks. They took it to atoms and are now putting it back together again. (It always helps to have another similar type in operation to check how the nuts and bolts are put to place. The other unit had a boiler replacement, which is a major effort for a voluntary organization like this. However it has now been inspected and boiler OK'd for traffic. You can expect two 2-6-5T Tubizes running in 2015 or 2016 here!

1) The old rusty boiler outside sometime last fall.

2) Tubing

3) Guess from the smile who is responsible for putting the loco back to work and how the work is progressing... He tells there has been challenges as in every project, but in the end the locomotive will be back on track at Jokioinen Museum Railway.

Date: 08/24/14 10:59

Autographs preserved from the persons who originally manufactured this loco!

Can you guess where they hid these so that they were away from the eyes of the staff management and inspectors? And could be easily seen if you just knew where to look...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/14 11:00 by McKey.

Date: 08/25/14 23:26
Author: shay2977

Real good

Date: 08/25/14 23:55

Thanks! Glad you like these.

shay2977 Wrote:
> Real good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/14 23:55 by McKey.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.073 seconds