Home Open Account Help 169 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Helper unit in Vienna?

Date: 08/28/14 21:18
Helper unit in Vienna?
Author: edsaalig

I took these photos last week in Vienna. Is this a helper unit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/14 21:18 by edsaalig.

Date: 08/29/14 05:10
Re: Helper unit in Vienna?
Author: SOO6617

edsaalig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I took these photos last week in Vienna. Is this
> a helper unit?

Not Likely. That is a standard diesel-hydraulic yard switcher and local freight locomotive. There are many industry tracks around Wien that are not electrified. Particularly the area between Kliene Schwechat and the Danube.

Date: 08/30/14 11:04
Author: McKey

Great pictures of the class 2070, thank you for sharing!

Here are a couple more, for recognition, first being ÖBB class 2070 in St Pölten and second another very common ÖBB "road switcher" class 2068 in Innsbruck.

Date: 08/30/14 16:54
Author: spandfecerwin

The yellow thing in front of the locomotive is an automatic coupler for switching.

Helpers usually are normal road engines.

Erwin from Austria

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/14 16:56 by spandfecerwin.

Date: 08/31/14 01:52
Author: McKey

Yes, semiautomatic. The air lines can't be connected or released with it, just the coupler.

Here is a close up for those who wish to study the coupler a bit. And for comparison a couple of pictures of semiautomatic Vapiti type coupler which can handle both SA3 and hook type European coupler. The first picture is by tracks@3rdhand, the second of T46-2 #3 by Gerry in Kiruna, Sweden and the third I took in Imatra, Finland of the private operator Ratarahti / Veturipalvelu Move90. This is the _only_ private slightly bigger locomotive in Finland, that can run on national network, and which actually does it too.

spandfecerwin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The yellow thing in front of the locomotive is an
> automatic coupler for switching.
>
> Helpers usually are normal road engines.
>
> Erwin from Austria

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds