Home Open Account Help 387 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Scandinavia Trip Part 4 - Misc DSB

Date: 08/31/14 10:30
Scandinavia Trip Part 4 - Misc DSB
Author: dwatry

Most Copenhagen area train riding was on the S-Tog, so I didn't see much of the mainline DSB trains. Some of our Copenhagen-area riding was on DSB locals, which are run with EMU sets, or the Oresundstag service, which is a joint Danish-Swedish service that connects the Copenhagen area with Malmo and southern Sweden and uses the same type of equipment. Oresundstag trains run as far as Kalmar in southern Sweden, which is about 3 hours from Copenhagen. These trains use the relatively new Oresund bridge-tunnel connecting Copenhagen and Malmo.

1) DSB train at Osterport in Copenhagen.

2) DSB train at Humlebaek.

3) Oresundstag train at Helsingor, with ferry in the background that connects Helsingor (DK) with Helsingborg (SE) across the Oresund. Several ferry operators run across this short strait, so ferry frequencies are very high.

Date: 08/31/14 10:38
Re: Scandinavia Trip Part 4 - Misc DSB

4) DSB train with double-deck stock at Danshoj.

5) DSB EMU at Danshoj.

6) DSB locomotive at Copenhagen central Station.

Date: 09/01/14 00:15
Author: McKey

Very cool Dwatry, thanks for sharing these! Brings back memories of Danish railways that are always so different from the rest of Nordic countries, and as well Germany next door!

How did you find a class ME diesel (the big blue one at Copenhagen central) in such a good shape? ;) ¨

One question: Denmark is making extensive rail modernization, meaning new higher speed lines (both new and upgrades) and electrifying everything they can. Also Copenhagen has some major local traffic work in progress. Did you see any signs of these and if yes how were they progressing? Any bridge work near Odense?

Date: 09/02/14 19:44

I just took a photo of what was there. The one in the photo above looks even better!

What I liked about these locomotives is that they have an EMD 645 prime mover, so they sound like an SD-45!

I did not get outside of Copenhagen except along the S-Tog lines or the Lokalbanen in the Helsingor region, so I did not see any major capacity increasing projects.

Date: 09/03/14 11:19

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I liked about these locomotives is that they
> have an EMD 645 prime mover, so they sound like an
> SD-45!

Yes, indeed, the sound is very convincing! Great that you could catch these beasts while they are still around for a few years.

> I did not get outside of Copenhagen except along
> the S-Tog lines or the Lokalbanen in the Helsingor
> region, so I did not see any major capacity
> increasing projects.

Ok, they might have not started yet on that direction. There should be some underground building there if I read right. But the real huge rail line works are both on the Western side of Copenhagen, lines leading to mainland and Southwest.

Date: 09/03/14 11:24

I just notices you had something unusual here: this is a Swedish X31 15 kV 16,7 Hz (Swedish+Germany++) unit that must also have 25 kV 50 Hz (standard Danish/European) capacity as it is in Helsingør in your picture! Excellent find!

In Copenhagen they run the Easternmost tracks with 15 kV overhead wires.

dwatry Wrote:
> 3) Oresundstag train at Helsingor, with ferry in
> the background that connects Helsingor (DK) with
> Helsingborg (SE) across the Oresund. Several
> ferry operators run across this short strait, so
> ferry frequencies are very high.

Date: 09/04/14 20:43

Which unit in which photo?

Date: 09/05/14 03:14

That is third from the top, with a driwer's window open. There is Helsingör(DK)-Helsinborg(S) strait of 4 kilometers / 2,5 miles behind the front of the train.

The one below belongs to the X31A fleet too, but is seen in Copenhagen Central (under 15 kV 16,7 Hz overhead wire).

dwatry Wrote:
> Which unit in which photo?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0923 seconds