Home Open Account Help 256 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Scandinavia Trip Pt 6 - Kalmar Area

Date: 09/04/14 22:21
Scandinavia Trip Pt 6 - Kalmar Area
Author: dwatry

In between Copenhagen and Stockholm, we stopped over in the Kalmar area, which is on the Baltic coast and is served by branchlines off of the Copenhagen-Stockholm mainline. We stayed in a resort hotel in Fjarestaden on the island of Oland just off the coast from Kalmar, which was thoroughly enjoyable. Closest US counterpart is Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard area.

1) SJ EMUs in Vaxjo, used for local services.

2) Oresundstag train in Vaxjo heading from Kalmar to Copenhagen.

3) Oresundstag train outside Kalmar heading to Copenhagen.

Date: 09/04/14 22:26
Re: Scandinavia Trip Pt 6 - Kalmar Area

4) Fjarestaden bus terminal, which has the definite look of a former railway station and yard.

5) SJ train from Kalmar to Goteberg at Kalmar.

6) SJ train from Goteberg to Kalmar at Nybro.

Date: 09/04/14 22:35

7) DMU trainset at Kalmar for the service north toward Linkoping.

8) Southbound SJ X-2000 trainset at Alvesta heading toward Copenhagen from Stockholm.

9) Northbound SJ X-2000 trainset at Alvesta heading toward Stockholm from Copenhagen.

Date: 09/05/14 03:18
Author: McKey

Great finds dwatry! Especially the rubber headed Swedish emu in Linköping! Thanks for sharing.

The X2000s in your pictures are btw. due to refurbishment starting next year. I wonder if the colors will still stay the same dull gray (or even black) or will SJ start using colors again?

Date: 09/05/14 04:59
Author: sventomas

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4) Fjarestaden bus terminal, which has the
> definite look of a former railway station and
> yard.
>
> 5) SJ train from Kalmar to Goteberg at Kalmar.
>
> 6) SJ train from Goteberg to Kalmar at Nybro.

You don't know how right you are. It's the former railway yard of the narrow gauge Ölands Järnväg abandoned in 1960. To the right across the street are the former shops and engine-house.
And Kalmar was the end of two 891 mm lines Kalmar Torsås to the South and Kalmar Berga to the North.
I give you two shots from Kalmar C in the summer of 1963 when I travelled the entire narrow gauge network.
Tom

Date: 09/05/14 05:08

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In between Copenhagen and Stockholm, we stopped
> over in the Kalmar area, which is on the Baltic
> coast and is served by branchlines off of the
> Copenhagen-Stockholm mainline. We stayed in a
> resort hotel in Fjarestaden on the island of Oland
> just off the coast from Kalmar, which was
> thoroughly enjoyable. Closest US counterpart is
> Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard area.
>
> 1) SJ EMUs in Vaxjo, used for local services.
>
> 2) Oresundstag train in Vaxjo heading from Kalmar
> to Copenhagen.
> Växjö was the focal point where the 891 and 1067 mm network met until about 1965. The 891 line North to Hultsfred ended up about 15 years ago.
Tom
> 3) Oresundstag train outside Kalmar heading to
> Copenhagen.

Date: 09/05/14 10:37

Tom - Wow I am really sorry to have missed that narrow gauge network. I have looked for maps of the Oland railways but have not been able to find any. Do you know of any links?

Duncan

Date: 09/05/14 10:45

Knowing the name of the railroad now, I found a map online.

Date: 09/06/14 01:07

The I suggest you go on searching for Kalmar-Berga Järnväg 891 mm (KBJ), Kalmar-Torsås Järnväg 891mm (KTJ) Växjö-Tingsryd Järnväg 1067mm (VTJ)and Växjö-Aseda Hultsfred Järnväg 891mm(VÅHJ).

About the standard gauge: In 1965/66 we had an extremely harsh winter in Sweden causing big problems on railway equipment (short-circuit, flat wheels, broken wheels etc) In those days we still kept an emergency stock of steam around the country and there were still hoggers and firemen young enough to handle these steamers. During the winter all traffic (both passenger and freight) were handled by B-class steamers between Alvesta and Kalmar/Karlskorna. Those were the days!

Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0646 seconds