Home Open Account Help 276 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Schienenzeppelin

Date: 09/14/14 19:04
Schienenzeppelin
Author: md

check out this cool 1929 German proto type that I saw from the New York Times Archives they tweeted today that I posted on the nostalgia list.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3522108

Date: 09/15/14 03:37
Re: Schienenzeppelin
Author: Steinzeit

As with other men of vision, Kruckenberg's ideas were somewhat too advanced for immediate commercial application, and needed further development work. As his original concepts had a somewhat dead-end application, due in part to the limited seating capacity, his next project with the DRG was a three unit articulated diesel unit of advanced design which was delivered in 1938. This had I believe the first application of air conditioning to equipment intended for general service on the DRG; apparently he anticipated the pressure-pulse problem with high speed operation, and the train would have been pressurized accordingly. The Hitler War prevented its further testing and development. It is interesting that it was articulated, whereas the DRG's other projects for express dmu's [ Köln and Berlin classes ] went from articulation to individual cars. Some postwar influence of this design can be seen in both DB and DR express dmu's.

Best regards, SZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0323 seconds