Home Open Account Help 258 users online

European Railroad Discussion > InnoTrans Berlin 2014 - The Inside

Date: 10/04/14 10:25
InnoTrans Berlin 2014 - The Inside
Author: E111

As John McKey is going to describe the outside exhibitions quite in detail, I will start my coverage of the 2014 InnoTrans with some pictures from the halls which I was able to take on Friday. They are in the order of my tour through the halls and are not sorted by importance!

The first booth I visited after entering the area was the one of MTU, the Motoren und Turbinen Union, a well known manufacturer of prime movers for locomotives and DMUs. To my surprise, MTU rediscovered their history and showed a 1932 Maybach GO5 prime mover with 12 valves and 420 hp together with a model of the DMU "Fliegender Hamburger" (former class 877), where it was used. And, very observant visitors could also discover the reproduction of a 1964 advertisement showing the KM ML 4000 for the Southern Pacific. Of course, the newest products of MTU have been on display as well, but there is no need to show a picture here.

Next stop was the booth of Akiem, one of the leading European rental companies for locomotives, where they showed a model of their new class 187 locomotive of . This class of Bombardier's TRAXX AC3 locomotives is equipped with a small prime mover (180 kW, in contrast of the 5600kW of the electrical equipment) to enable switching in areas with no catenary.

And ABC(Anglo Belgian Corporation) showed their 12 DZC prime mover. One member of this family was formerly used in the Voith Maxima Co´Co´ locomotive.

Picture 1: Maybach GO5 prime mover with the model of the SVT "Fliegender Hamburger"
Picture 2: TRAXX AC3 class 187 for Akiem
Picture 3: ABC prime mover 12-DZC

Date: 10/04/14 10:40
Re: InnoTrans Berlin 2014 - The Inside

One of the booths taking more time than expected was the one of Siemens, where they showed a lot of models and good information. Out of those, I selected for sharing with you the model of the ICE-X being built for DB, the model of the Velaro (ICE) for the Turkish TCDD of which Siemens has 7 trains on order (with the first already delivered) and the model of the Charger diesel-locomotive being designed and built for several US railways. The Charger, of which 32 are on order with an option of 225 additional units, will be delivered starting 2016. It is equipped with a Cummings 4,400 hp-rated 16-cylinder prime mover and will be assembled by the Sacramento facility of Siemens. Maximum speed is 125 mph. It is based on the Siemens Eurorunner and Vectron platforms.

Siemens had a lot of other things on display, including a 1:1 model of the Vectron cab and tons of models of their regional and tramway trains.

Date: 10/04/14 10:52

And my final post on the "inside" of the InnoTrans shows two models from Talgo: One of their new Intercity trainsets and the Talgo 350 EMU for Saudi Arabia.

There has been much more to see and much more information could be posted here, especially in the area of special parts and components. So I will conclude with a picture of a cardan shaft for diesel locomotives, having been refurbished by the company Welte, a well known company doing refurbishments, upgrades and replacement parts for cardan shafts in Germany. Two of their shafts might find their way to California soon ;-)

I hope you enjoyed this short coverage of the halls of the InnoTrans 2014 in Berlin!
E111

Date: 10/04/14 21:29
Author: sp5623

Thanks for the nice photos, Richard. That G05 is a thing of beauty - as is the Cardan shaft. ;-)

Howard

Date: 10/06/14 04:06
Author: McKey

Whow, this must also be the Maybach engine many rigid airships of first half of the 20th century used! I wrote several articles on those last year. Thank you for sharing these sets of pictures, these are all true attention catchers (or how do you say that in English?).

E111 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first booth I visited after entering the area
> was the one of MTU, the Motoren und Turbinen
> Union, a well known manufacturer of prime movers
> for locomotives and DMUs. To my surprise, MTU
> rediscovered their history and showed a 1932
> Maybach GO5 prime mover with 12 valves and 420 hp
> together with a model of the DMU "Fliegender
> Hamburger" (former class 877), where it was used.

Do I detect that the class 187 is slightly longer than the classes 185 and 186? Of course with additional equipment onboard this would make sense, but at outside areas it has been impossible to compare the lengths as the only other locomotive nearby is the multiengined TRAXX diesel.

The Charger looks suspiciously like a stretched version of Vectron, with the other cab missing...

Looks like Talgo has gone from 1:1 model to 0 scale model (1:48(?))...hope Siemens can go the other way with extending their garden railway scale IC-X to full operational 1:1 scale train set ;)

Thank you very much E111! & hope to see some more pictures from you here later...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/14 04:16 by McKey.

Date: 10/06/14 04:22

Here are a few pictures of Talgo Avril 1:1 scale train from the previous Innotrans two years ago. The rest you can find here if you are interested: http://www.4rail.net/reference_germany_gallery2_emus.php#start

This was the trains located right next to the inner perimeter fence with hundreds of people trying to go around the nose. Try to take pictures in all that...

Date: 10/06/14 04:43
Author: SOO6617

McKey Wrote:
> Do I detect that the class 187 is slightly longer
> than the classes 185 and 186? Of course with
> additional equipment onboard this would make
> sense, but at outside areas it has been impossible
> to compare the lengths as the only other
> locomotive nearby is the multiengined TRAXX
> diesel.

Same length as all previous TRAXX locomotives, 18.9 meters.

Date: 10/06/14 06:24

OK, thanks. Then it must be the livery that makes dimensions look different.

SOO6617 Wrote:
> McKey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do I detect that the class 187 is slightly
> longer
> > than the classes 185 and 186? Of course with
> > additional equipment onboard this would make
> > sense, but at outside areas it has been
> impossible
> > to compare the lengths as the only other
> > locomotive nearby is the multiengined TRAXX
> > diesel.
>
> Same length as all previous TRAXX locomotives,
> 18.9 meters.

Date: 10/08/14 07:17
Author: GettingShort

What a show, heaven for any modern era foamer, great pictures! Thanks

Date: 10/08/14 07:27
Author: GettingShort

That Siemens Charger is a nice looking locomotive, about time the US joins the rest of the modern world in rolling stock design esthetics. Now if only something can be done about the appearance of suburban passenger equipment, much of it has all the charm of the intake section of a county jail drunk tank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/14 07:30 by GettingShort.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1087 seconds