Home Open Account Help 238 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Innotrans: Bombardier Twindexx Coaches

Date: 10/23/14 02:20
Innotrans: Bombardier Twindexx Coaches
Author: McKey

Part of the TWINDEXX family two Bombardier manufactured coaches were seen at Innotrans too.

These are part of the most successful coach product lines in Europe today. These coaches or their predecessors are found today on most Central and Northern European countries. I think our German members could tell their history from decades ago?

The units shown at Innotrans are special because these were meant for the long distance traffic of DB instead of the regional / short distance, their normal usage. I think this is due to Siemens delays in their ICx delivery timetabling (or at least the magazines I read seemed to think so). Something was needed to replace these in a shorter time span and this gave Bombardier an opening they wished to exploit.

TWINDEXX family is also expanding by a double decked EMU, something I suspect we will see at the next Innotrans.

Date: 10/23/14 02:23
Re: Innotrans: Bombardier Twindexx Coaches

4) "Mind the gap"? Would this be a turning step for entering the coach where a wide gap can be found?

5) Normal electrical connection being used for rolling stock in most of Europe today. Would the voltage here be 1500V?

Date: 10/23/14 02:24

Any pictures of the similarly painted TRAXX locos for these coaches yet?

Date: 10/23/14 23:14

Adding some TWINDEXXes from everyday use so you see what they look like.

First one is from Copenhagen central where these coaches are pushed and pulled some formidable EMD powered DSB diesels. The rakes of coaches have pretty much saved Danes from the spells too little rolling capacity caused by ill fated AnsaldoBreda DMUs. Using coaches also adds some flexibility: once the electrification around Copenhagen is advancing far enough the locomotive at the end of the train can be replaced by an electric one. True advantage of modularization often available on rails.

Second one is operator Metronom driving trailer from Hamburg Altona in Northern Germany and the third one what the coaches normally look like at DB. This one is from Leer. Bright red with "DB Regio" loco is just as fitting as the new white with red tripe. You can see these red coaches in numerous places in Germany. Two lower pictures by Ilkka.

It is interesting how one coach type has gained such a widespread popularity!

Date: 10/24/14 10:21
Author: SOO6617

McKey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any pictures of the similarly painted TRAXX locos
> for these coaches yet?

Lots of them on the Railcolor website, like this one;

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1410105&lang=1&file=bomb_35028_65&action=image&position=

Date: 10/24/14 11:54

Yes, they have those, I was actually thinking our Trainorders members, who might have seen and pictured some of these. I suppose that once you know where to go it is not hard to find these differently colored units. Anyways, here are a couple of DB red colored locos for comparison.

Date: 10/26/14 01:31
Author: spandfecerwin

When this coaches are riding as smoothly as the red DB ones than they are true sedans.

Erwin from Austria

Date: 10/26/14 02:20
Author: Stephenloco

I too visited Innotrans. The following day I visited the former Wustermark marshalling yard (DB Regio station Elstal), where I had heard a lot of new stock is stored/tested & lucked upon one of these new TRAXX locos moving through the yard

Screenshot from video attached.

Video can be found on my YouTube site (link in my user profile), Video can be found in my German Trains playlist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/14 02:21 by Stephenloco.

Date: 10/26/14 03:41

Hope they will drive even better as the speeds are greater than on regional traffic pulled and pushed by TRAXXes, 182s and lots of ex. Eastern equipment. I wonder if this bogie can match that of the Viaggio classic under Railjets?

spandfecerwin Wrote:
> When this coaches are riding as smoothly as the
> red DB ones than they are true sedans.
>
> Erwin from Austria

Date: 10/26/14 04:02

Great videos! I think we all would like to see your videos here on trainorders too, so why not post them here? Took a while to spot the right video on youtube.

Better put Elstal to mu bucket list too...that is so close to Messe Berlin!

What is the strange noise the 146.551 is doing in the first part of the video? Not what I think it is?

Stephenloco Wrote:
> I too visited Innotrans. The following day I
> visited the former Wustermark marshalling yard (DB
> Regio station Elstal), where I had heard a lot of
> new stock is stored/tested & lucked upon one of
> these new TRAXX locos moving through the yard
>
> Screenshot from video attached.
>
> Video can be found on my YouTube site (link in my
> user profile), Video can be found in my German
> Trains playlist

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0797 seconds