Home Open Account Help 367 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Steel on Sunday

Date: 11/19/14 02:47
Steel on Sunday
Author: 86235

Last Sunday the mainline through Newport in South Wales was quite busy with steel trains to and from the Tata steelworks at Port Talbot and Llanwern

First off is the 6O32 from Margam (the yard next to Port Talbot) to Dollands Moor (the yard at the English end of the Channel Tunnel) and onward to destinations in Europe. Today the destination of the steel was Rotterdam, Mauberge in Northern France is another destination. This flow of export steel runs four or five times a week, depending on demand. The train is passing East Usk Yard on the eastern side of Newport

Also taken at East Usk, some 22 minutes later, 66177 (tailed by 66087 on the rear of the train) on the 6H25 from Margam to Llanwern. Topping and tailing was in use because access to the steelworks was only available at Llanwern East as Network Rail were working on the down fast and up local lines (the two centre tracks). Consequently there was a back up move from Severn Tunnel Junction.

Finally another topped and tailed working, the 6E47 from Margam to Middlesborough, which also is due to stop at Llanwern to add some more loads. The train engine is 60024 Clitheroe Castle, 66087 is once again on the tail for the back up move. This was taken at Undy, between Llanwern and Severn Tunnel Junction, from where the train backs up along the line on the left.

These weren't the only steel trains to be seen in South Wales on Sunday, there was a Margam to Hartlepool Pipe Works in NE England (from where pipes for North Sea gas and oil explorations are fabricated), a Margam to Dee Marsh (via Llanwern). Dee Marsh is the site of Tata's Shotton Works in North Wales. This train also stops at Llanwern to collect more loads before reversing direction and taking the semaphore rich N&W line to Shrewsbury at Maindee East Junction in Newport.

Date: 11/19/14 05:05
Re: Steel on Sunday
Author: SPDRGWfan

Cool.

Any more incidents with leaves on the tracks causing problems? My wife is an ex-pat from England and is always joking about how a RR in England had problems or delays due to leaves on the tracks.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 11/19/14 06:02
Author: McKey

Great to see steel on rails, thank you Nick!

Date: 11/19/14 09:25

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool.
>
> Any more incidents with leaves on the tracks
> causing problems?

Thanks, yes leaves are still an issue. Network Rail will be operating their Railhead Treatment Trains (RHTT) for another two or three weeks, spraying the railhead and laying sandite.

Date: 11/19/14 19:37
Author: tq-07fan

I like the way the steel trains look. They look even better with a Class 60 as it seams to match the profile better. When these and other trains are topped and tailed is the trailing unit providing any pushing power is it simply being dragged along until needed?

Jim

Date: 11/19/14 19:39
Author: MMD

Another great set of photos, very nice to see.

Malcolm
New Zealand

Date: 11/19/14 23:33

tq-07fan Wrote:
> When these and other trains
> are topped and tailed is the trailing unit
> providing any pushing power is it simply being
> dragged along until needed?
>
> Jim

I rather like 66177 with the light roof panels, but the 60 is nicer, no doubt. The tailing loco is a dead weight, it was just idling. Judging by the times they stopped at Alexandra Dock Junction yard on the west side of Newport to add the tailing loco so only dragged it a few miles.

MMD Wrote:
> Another great set of photos, very nice to see.

Thanks Malcolm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/14 08:11 by 86235.

Date: 01/07/15 20:00
Author: PCTZ

This is a wonderful set of photos and very informative. I recently (07July 2014) had the opportunity to sample European freight action on the Betuweroute (16 trains in 5 hours). I am still trying to piece together the ID for this eastbound steel train using information from the Rolandrail site. At least it has made me try to learn some Dutch...lol.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0418 seconds