Home Open Account Help 346 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Norwegian & Swedish Trains?

Date: 02/15/15 19:46
Norwegian & Swedish Trains?
Author: gaspeamtrak

Can anybody tell me what the night train from Stockholm to Narvik is like, the trip, and equipment is like/order?

What are the night trains like in Norway? I try and catch the Bergen to Oslo trains and vice versa trains on the "Finse 1222 Webcam" which is really cool!

Also any info on the Oslo to Stavanger line, sleeper train/trains?

I have watched the Trondheim to Bodo complete "You Tube Video" of almost 10 hours, looks like a very nice trip? Any info on the trains and consist?

Sorry about all the questions! But just a interested Canadian...

Date: 02/16/15 21:56
Re: Norwegian & Swedish Trains?
Author: GPutz

In May and June 2012 my son and I traveled from Oslo to Trondheim and Bodo by train, drove to Narvik, and traveled by train from Narvik to Uppsala. I don't have much detail about the consists; but I do have some images.

1. The Oslo - Trondheim train before departure from Oslo, 5/29/12
2. The Trondhein - Bodo train arriving the Trondheim station, 5/30/12
3. The Bodo - Trondheim train departing Skongseng, 5/30/12

Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/15 22:12 by GPutz.

Date: 02/16/15 22:10

4. A Narvik - Stockholm train, Torne Trask, Sweden, 6/3/12
5. The Narvik - Stockholm train, Uppsala, Sweden, 6/9/12

Trains from Narvik, Norway, and Lulea, Sweden, meet and exchange cars and power at Boden, Sweden.

You may also find more information and images here.

http://www.4rail.net/index.php

The people and the scenery are wonderful.

Gerry

Date: 02/17/15 06:39
Author: 86235

We travelled from Stockholm to Narvik on the overnight train back in 2008, when it was operated by Veolia. We had a three berth sleeping compartment for the two of us, very nice it was too. There was a bar/buffet car, all in all it was a very civilised train.

Date: 02/17/15 10:35

Thanks very much for the info!
Veolia doesn't run the train anymore? SJ runs it now?

Date: 02/17/15 10:38

Thank you for the pictures and info!
The track looks pretty good. How was the ride quality?
Thanks again!

Date: 02/17/15 10:51

gaspeamtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The track looks pretty good. How was the ride quality?
Thanks again!
-------------------------------------------------------
The line between Narvik, Norway, and Boden, Sweden, (and on to Lulea) is built for the heaviest trains (iron ore) in Europe. It is very smooth running. From Boden to Stockholm is a regular Swedish line which is also very smooth running. Gerry

Date: 02/18/15 13:29

Here are some more pictures from our journey from Stockholm to Narvik on May 25th 2008. We caught train number 92 which is a Gothenberg to Lulea service and changed at Boden into a Lulea to Narvik day train, arriving in Narvik in the afternoon. We were in sleeping car 43. In 2008 these trains were operated by Veolia, they reverted back to SJ the following year, not sure who operates them now. The equipment was first class; comfortable and well maintained and the train was very busy.

The first two pictures were taken in Stockholm prior to departure at 22:12; a sleeping car and our locomotive, travelling in late May you are reminded of your latitude by what in Scotland is called the 'simmer dim', the fact it never gets completely dark.

The third picture is of the interior of our three berth compartment - although there only being two of us only the top and bottom berths were made up. There was a shower compartment down the corridor.

Date: 02/18/15 13:45

Our loco re-attaches itself, we're almost ready to leave - All Aboard!

The line north from Umea is single track with frequent passing sidings for meets like this.

As I recall this was one of the lasts stops before Boden, where you change for Narvik. As you can see its a busy train

Date: 02/18/15 13:47

Final picture taken a few days later whilst we were staying in Narvik. It's actually in Sweden between Abisko and Riksgransen and is the Stockholm to Narvik trains itself. It leaves Stockholm earlier than no.92 and has a smaller consist.

Date: 02/18/15 22:52

Thanks for all the info and pictures! this has to go on my bucket list!

Date: 03/12/15 04:39
Author: McKey

Great picks Nick, thank you!

Date: 03/12/15 04:50
Author: McKey

One note to everyone: if you are traveling by train, not many of the ones existing before are left any more, without looking at the timetable I'd say one or two both ways each day. The rest have made room for Norrtåget buses, seen on the timetables too. vacating capacity is used by ever more numerous ore trains.

Here are a few pictures from Narvik station last few years. Although Green Cargo locos pulled ore trains are not running at the moment (for Northland Resources), the MTAB ones are more numerous. As prices of iron ore have halved, LKAB needs to mine ever more iron to stay profitable. That is before the economic activity in Europe will rebound.

1) Inbound MTAB ore train slowing down hill and taking the second to last curve at Narvik station before entering the LKAB transloading ore terminal.

2) Outbound from Narvik towards Kiruna in 2014. Cars are either empties or loaded with substances needed at pelletizing plants or mines.

3) Into the mountains... Picture by Hannu.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0596 seconds