Home Open Account Help 309 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Coronation Class Pacific #46238 "City of Carlisle"

Date: 03/06/15 15:48
Coronation Class Pacific #46238 "City of Carlisle"
Author: Hermosa45

Recently I purchased several Howard Fogg original paintings. One of them I can find no information on--maybe I don't know where to look.
It is a beautiful oil on canvas (18" X 24") of #46238 with a passenger train. The engine is Red with a black front. The cars, about
six of them, match the color of the locomotive. It is passing a semaphore with a small station named "Newlin" behind it. It is a Summer
scene, really pretty country. Howard painted it in 1988.

I would like to get more information on the locomotive and what the train might be. I will be trying to shoot a digital shot of it and putting up
a scan of it shortly. The only information on it that I have is in the header of this post.

If anyone can help me out on this, I would appreciate it.

Al Chione
Hermosa45

Date: 03/06/15 17:38
Re: Coronation Class Pacific #46238 "City of Carlisle"
Author: DKay

Without seeing the painting,the coach's sound like the old Mk 1's.I had a look around google maps ,and couldn't find anything on Newlin.One try showed a location near York ,the next try indicated a spot next to the Thames in central London.???
Regards,DK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/15 17:45 by DKay.

Date: 03/07/15 01:29
Author: 86235

Coronation Class Pacifics were a design of the LMS - London, Midland & Scottish - and were usually used on West Coast Mainline services between London, the Midlands, NW England and Scotland. Six cars is a very light train for a Coronation - maybe it's a representation of a train likes the Lakes Express which was a summer only service and ran from London to the English Lake District in Cumbria, it split into a number of portions. But that's just a guess.

**update** here's a Howard Fogg picture of 46238, but it doesn't sound like it's the same as yours, as there are no semaphores or a station, he must have painted 46238 more than once. It's at 36 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RuQlnVnsuM

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/15 07:35 by 86235.

Date: 03/07/15 15:28
Author: Steinzeit

There is no station named Newlin, or anything close, in the "British Railways Pre-grouping Atlas and Gazetteer". Perhaps it's the last name of a commissioner --or a young lady's first name.... .

SZ

Date: 03/07/15 17:06
Author: Hermosa45

I thought that the name "Newlin" might have been fabricated, possibly to personalize the painting. Give me a few days and I will post
an image of the painting. I will try and make it large enough that anyone who wants to make decent size copy for themselves can do so.

Hermosa45

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0302 seconds