Home Open Account Help 303 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Bears in Switzerland

Date: 03/24/15 05:17
Bears in Switzerland
Author: McKey

This is the first part in effort to run a series of various common and uncommon rail vehicles that I've been studying and people around me taking pictures of. Having read some of the recent posts I think there is a great need to know what the railroading looks like in Europe, or for the older subjects, once looked. Since there hardly is any subject I would know enough (the more you learn the better you recognize the limits of your knowledge), please join me building discussions around these subject!

Bears in Switzerland 
Many of us are familiar with the BLS AG (years ago Bern–Lötschberg–Simplon railway) whcih is "the other larger company" operating freight and passenger traffic in Switzerland and sometimes internationally. BLS vehicles are known for cool livery of bright green and silver, often making their appearances quite striking. Especially with special stickers / vinyls attached for occasions. One of the latest EMUs for BLS comes from Stadler Rail AG (huge Swiss + international train manufacturer) and part of the KISS product line. Basically KISS is a a double decked FLIRT EMU lookalike, probably these are technologically also near each other.

BLS KISS trains are called "Mutz", Swiss for Bear! Initially it looked like it would be a unit name, but indeed it is written under windshield of the whole series. Enjoy the pics! 

Date: 03/24/15 05:21
Re: Bears in Switzerland

Some more pics...the lowest one is from Innotrans 2012. You can find more of those I'm not allowed to publish here at 4rail.net. 

All the upper picture by Andreas, taken in Thun, Switzerland.

Date: 03/24/15 16:11
Author: Steinzeit

It is interesting that these units carry the RM logo, although I thought RM ceased to exist when the latest form of BLS was created.  Does RM stilll exist in a marketing or "product line"[ as they say nowdays ] sense ?

Best, SZ

Date: 03/25/15 01:19

An excellent question! Let's see if I find anyone up here who has the info...lots of Swiss trains enthusiasts around me.  

In the picture is another "fresh" looking (I don't know if it really is) paint scheme with R-M logo. Marketing brand would sound likely reason for these? MU in picture in Luzern, Switzerland is a BLS Stadler Rail manufactured GTW 2/8(?) (powered axles/non powered axles), interestingly equipped here with overhead electric power module. EMU is of Swiss class RABe 526 which tells of its speed, usage on power. R= multiple unit or loco with at least 110 km/h max. speed, A= first class, B=second class, e=electric 

Date: 03/25/15 04:18
Author: helvknight

The GTWs were supplied to RM before the fusion and were painted in RM red, they've been around for a while. Actually all GTWs in Switzerland are electric, BLS have them, so do Thurbo and SBB themselves (they're used in Aargau, bought for the Seetalbahnlinie that runs between Lenzburg and Luzern. The line runs alongside a road for most of its length so these trains are a little bit narrower than normal to give the road a bit more clearance)

The RM logo is used on all BLS stock. 

The BLS Mutz are actually the same as the Stadler KISS (RABe 511) that first saw use in the Zürich S-Bahn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/15 04:20 by helvknight.

Date: 03/25/15 04:30

Welcome to forum helvknight! Do you know who invented the MUTZ name for the Stadler KISSes for BLS, and why, what does it mean?

If I understand right KISS is the "heavy weight" light suburban train and ingenious GTW designs are for lower price and weight segment?  

In the picture another GTW EMU of SBB, the largest Swiss train operator company.

helvknight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The GTWs were supplied to RM before the fusion and
> were painted in RM red, they've been around for a
> while. Actually all GTWs in Switzerland are
> electric, BLS have them, so do Thurbo and SBB
> themselves (they're used in Aargau, bought for the
> Seetalbahnlinie that runs between Lenzburg and
> Luzern. The line runs alongside a road for most of
> its length so these trains are a little bit
> narrower than normal to give the road a bit more
> clearance)
>
> The RM logo is used on all BLS stock. 
>
> The BLS Mutz are actually the same as the Stadler
> KISS (RABe 511) that first saw use in the Zürich
> S-Bahn.

Date: 03/25/15 06:48
Author: thehighwayman

Thanks for all your great photos McKey!

I am looking forward to future additions to this series.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 03/25/15 08:16

Thank you Will! More posts will follow :)

thehighwayman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all your great photos McKey!
>
> I am looking forward to future additions to this
> series.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds