Home Open Account Help 210 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Harz Mountain Railway

Date: 04/04/15 11:59
Harz Mountain Railway
Author: Latebeans

My wife and I are going to Germany late this summer.  We plan to visit the Harz mountains by train and ride the Harz Mountain Railway.  We are looking at basing ourselves in either Quedlinburg or Wernigerode.  Both towns look beautiful but I wonder which would be a better base for using the narrow gauge railway.  Any input would be much appreciated.

Date: 04/04/15 12:29
Re: Harz Mountain Railway
Author: andersonb109

Definitely Wernigerode!  Their main base of operation including the steam shed is there. And the town is equally as nice as Quidlinberg, with probalby fewer tourists and even has a castle. Wernigerode also has way more trains as it's the primary starting point for trips up the Brocken. Quindlenberg is far away at the other end of the system and is served infrequently. Not to say thought that you can't make a day trip by train there and back. The town is worth a few hours visit. Have a great trip.

Date: 04/04/15 14:14
Author: Latebeans

Thanks.  Both towns look very interesting and I see one can also travel between the two via Halberstadt using local trains.  I suppose, if the steam train scdeules alowed, you could make a circle trip from Wernigerode to Quedlinburg.

Date: 04/04/15 15:45
Author: spflow

I woudl strongly suuport the advice from andersonb109 to stay in Wernigerode. It's a great little palce with some really good hotels and nice places to eat, as well as being the headquarters of the Harz system. We've stayed there twice in recent years, it really can't be bettered!

Date: 04/04/15 16:23
Author: birdman

Wernigerode is the place to stay.  You can walk along the narrrow gauge for photo angles through town.  There are many neat buildings in town and the shop is good for background in photos.  Also, plan to get off at Drei Annen Hohne to photograph train meets.  There are three tracks in the station and sometimes all three have trains on them.  Some trains take on water at the water plug there.  There are also standard gauge trains to be seen in the station at Wernigerode.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds