Home Open Account Help 247 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Norway: CAF Oaris EMUs for Flytoget

Date: 04/08/15 08:15
Norway: CAF Oaris EMUs for Flytoget
Author: McKey

CAF of Spain will supply Norwegian Flytoget eight type Oaris four car EMUs. These multiple units will come into traffic mainly between Gardemoen Airport and Oslo center (and slightly beyond to Southwest). Added trains were needed because of constantly rising passenger numbers traveling to and from airport and the second terminal being finished by 2017. New EMUs are worth 120 million euros / 15 million euros each and most likely have top speed of 250 or 300 km/h (basically Oaris top speed is 300 km/h, but it is hard to imagine this will be needed running such a short route). While terminal will be finished in 2017, trains won't arrive before 2018, leaving a problematic gap for Flytoget to tackle. Initial tender asked for delivery in 2017, but obviously this could not be met by the manufacturer. Maybe the retired class 69 units will handle some of the traffic before new Oaris sets (class Bm76) are taken into use. It remains to be seen what changes are needed for the hard Norwegian climate. 

Oaris a totally new train set for CAF too. Only one prototype exists and is being tested in Spain. (correct if I'm wrong on the numbers). However it seems to resemble somewhat the Turkey high speed HT65000 EMUs delivered earlier there by CAF. of course you are bound to design similar looking EMUs within one brand.

Below three pictures of CAF Oaris in Renfe (Spanish railways) colors, similar to be delivered to Flytoget. Pictures courtesy of CAF 
(Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles).       

Date: 04/08/15 08:29
Re: Norway: CAF Oaris EMUs for Flytoget

Flytoget currently runs a fleet of quite interesting looking 16 class Bm71 trains. Three unit EMUs were built in 1978-9 by Adtranz. Fourt module was supplied by Bombardier (successor of many Adranz activities) in 2008-9.
Can you guess why the nose most likely looks like this?

Pictures below from Norway by Gerry. 

Date: 04/08/15 15:09
Author: SOO6617

McKey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you guess why the nose most likely looks like
> this?

Alces alces, Known as a Elg in Norwegian, an Elk to the British, and as a Moose to residents of North America. The large nose is to protect the crew in case of a collision with the largest member of the Deer family at high speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/15 15:11 by SOO6617.

Date: 04/09/15 00:27

That is excellent deduction SOO! Elks are formidable opposition even for trains, especially fast running ones. So that others can see what we are talking about, I included below a set taken from my mowing car from Kärsämäki, Finland.
There is also another reason for this shape of nose, somesthing very useful in Norway: entering tunnels the shock wave is easier with just this shape (or the Oaris for that matter).
And goin forward with the same tracks as SOO, Norway's tracks may have fallen stones, debris, snow occasionally and even then the train must stay on rails and protect its passengers. 

SOO6617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> McKey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Can you guess why the nose most likely looks
> like
> > this?
>
> Alces alces, Known as a Elg in Norwegian, an Elk
> to the British, and as a Moose to residents of
> North America. The large nose is to protect the
> crew in case of a collision with the largest
> member of the Deer family at high speed.
>

1) Here is the mother elk...if you see it crossing and stopping like this at the other end...BRAKE! 

2-3) ...because next comes her calf! This young male must weigh about 500 kilograms / 1000 lbs and it is raised with four supporting poles so that you don't wish to hit it with a normal car... 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/15 04:20 by McKey.

Date: 04/09/15 00:29

4) This is what you see when the elk is not on the road...pretty tough to spot anything against the sun don't you think? 

Can anyone spot the two elks running in this pic? Sorry, I'm holding steering wheel with my left and shooting the elk with the right so my sleeve shows in the picture...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/15 00:41 by McKey.

Date: 04/09/15 06:12
Author: GPutz

When I first saw them in September 2004 I thought they looked like Willie the Worm, a pupet on a US children's TV show in the 1950's.  I tried to board one in Oslo Central (or Sentral) and was told I had to have an airline ticket.  I had a Scanrail pass.  How do you get to the airport to buy an airline ticket or meet an arriving passenger?  Gerry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0712 seconds