Home Open Account Help 277 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Best England/Wales Steam Museums (Now in "correct" category)

Date: 04/10/15 13:14
Best England/Wales Steam Museums (Now in "correct" category)
Author: meixel

I originally posted this in the "International" category and the first response suggested that I place in here in "European Railroads."  I do know that the England and Wales are NOT in Europe!

My family and I will be in Oxford, UK for 3.5 weeks.  We are house-swapping and will have use of a car.

I have been to England twice but have not yet visited any steam railways or museums.  What are the recommended best to see?

I am considering the Ffestiniog, Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch, and York.  They are all a bit far from Oxford but not unreasonable.  I see that there are many to see and would love some recommendations.

Thanks for your help!

Date: 04/10/15 14:27
Re: Best England/Wales Steam Museums (Now in "correct" category)
Author: march_hare

We did Bluebell, Ffestiniog, Welsh Highlands, and the Jacobite last year, along with a mainline excursion over the Settle & Carlisle.  Enjoyed all of them immensely, but the duo of Ffestiniog and Welsh Highlands (they share a station) really stands out.  I'd always thought of 2 foot gauge trains as toys, but the history of operations there is really rich, and I came away with a real appreciation of them.  The regular power on the Welsh Highlands was a Beyer Garrat.  The regular service train that took us up into Wales was a humble pair of DMUs, but well worth the trip as well.

Sounds like the Jacobite may not be operating this year, or at least for the first part (see the "Hogwarts" post a few days ago--sounds like the operator had a truly stunning safety breach last month)

Bluebell is a class act, also reachable by conventional train out of London Victoria.

Date: 04/10/15 14:45
Author: spflow

First of all, England, Wales, and the rest of the UK are most definitely in Europe from a geographical point of view, as well of course as a member of the European Union. I have today just travelled over from Kent in the extreme southeast of England to Montrueil in northern France for lunch and to do some shopping, the travel took about 2 hours each way (going under the Channel in the tunnel).

But, as to your serious question, the one place you must visit is the Didcot Centre, home of the Great Western Society. This is a working steam depot and workshop, covering many acres, and is only a few miles south of Oxford. It is best reached by train, though you can drive if you must. Allow a few hours to see all teh sights, and drink in the atmosphere. It wonderfully epitomises all that is great about British railway enthusiasm! See the website www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk
Happy trainspotting!

PS your other suggestions are also first rate, and represent some of the huge variety on offer. The Romney Hythe and Dymchrich is extremely quirky and profoundly unscenic, while the Festioniog is just everythin you could wish for from a narrow gauge (and Welsh) system. If you are in the south east, the other line you might wish to visit is the Kent and East Sussex light railway - deeply rural and small scale but richly equipped with old locos, rolling stock and signalling. York cannot be missed, whatever else you do!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/15 15:06 by spflow.

Date: 04/10/15 15:50
Author: 86235

I agree with everything Spflow says but would add the museum dedicated to the Great Western Railway in Swindon, which is reachable by bus from Oxford.

Date: 04/10/15 17:45
Author: meixel

Thank you all!

Date: 04/10/15 17:59
Author: grahamline

Great Central at Loughborough is not so far from Oxford.  Severn Valley is on the way to the Festiniog, which is well worth a trip.

http://www.svr.co.uk/Default.aspx
http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds