Home Open Account Help 263 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Hamburg-Copenhagen ICE

Date: 04/19/15 16:19
Hamburg-Copenhagen ICE
Author: railfan400

I rode the DB/DSB ICE service from Hamburg to Copenhagen a couple of days ago. It was a very pleasant trip with only a short delay just outside of Copenhagen. The train had very few passenger aboard for most of the journey leaving plenty of seats to choose from.

Date: 04/19/15 16:24
Re: Hamburg-Copenhagen ICE

On board the Scandlines ferry, Prins Richard. Beautiful weather made for a pleasant crossing on an outside deck.

Date: 04/19/15 16:33

Nykøbing, Vordingborg and Copenhagen. I think the DB paint scheme looks sharper on the diesel ICE than the DSB one.

Date: 04/19/15 18:01
Author: gaspeamtrak

Very interesting photos! Also thanks for the info!...

Date: 04/19/15 23:04
Author: McKey

Wonderful picture story, great work railfan400! You even managed to catch a glimpse of the only one ICE-TD unit painted to DSB "normal" colors of silver and dark blue...congratulations for that too! And you caught one of the rare Frichs built "Köffs", very light switchers used in old days to move a car of two. It is in one of your pictures sitting at the siding.

Did you notice any work being done near Puttgarten coast or Nyköbing on Danish side? They are in a process of creating a permanent tunnel link between these two point again easing land connections between Norway/Sweden/Denmark with Germany and beyond. So these incredibly fast ferries will be gone in a few years from now.

Date: 04/20/15 00:05

An old tower and a DB Regio train at Puttgarden and one of the DSB switcher which looks to me like a locomotive version of a lowrider car. I wanted to travel this route knowing that a fixed link is coming in the future. Frequent travellers are certain to prefer bridges and tunnels but the ferries have a certain charm and give a nice break to a journey. Between Sweden and Denmark, I still prefer taking the Helsingborg-Helsingør ferry rather than going via the Öresund bridge-tunnel.  I did notice some work being done on the Danish side.

Date: 04/20/15 00:19

What a sportscar...locomotor on your third pic!

Definitely it is cool to have all those forms of transportation available. Might it be so that after Helsingborg-Helsingör tunneling is finished (don't they have this project too once money will be allocated there), that some ferries there will still remain? 

Below another view to the smart little sportslocomotor ;)  , this one is at the premises of Danish Railroad Museum in Odense and Ilkka spotted it being moved around.

Date: 04/20/15 00:22

Train driving onto the ferry. People enjoying the crossing up on deck.

Date: 04/20/15 01:53

Looks comfortable. How often do the ferries go? 

Date: 04/22/15 09:40
Author: andersonb109

Thanks for the report. I'll be on board in a few weeks. I had no clue a ferry was involved until I looked at the schedule. Now I understand why the trip is do long.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0714 seconds