Home Open Account Help 302 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Lyon to Stockholm

Date: 04/25/15 17:48
Lyon to Stockholm
Author: renf

I would like to travel by train from Lyon to Stockholm this November.  Which rail route is ideal for such a trip?
Thank you very much.

Date: 04/26/15 00:21
Re: Lyon to Stockholm
Author: 86235

Lyon to Brussels, Brussels to Cologne, Cologne to Hamburg, Hamburg to Copenhagen, Copenhagen to Stockholm. If you want to do it in one go www.bahn.com suggests it can be done in 26 hours, but that involves some silly changes in the middle of the night.

Ideally you would take three days, stopping overnight in Hamburg and Copenhagen. You would also get to ride the train ferry on the Hamburg to Copenhagen leg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/15 01:00 by 86235.

Date: 04/26/15 03:21
Author: andersonb109

I'm taking the overnight train from Stockholm to Copenhagen. You could include that service in reverse. It would save a night in a hotel or sitting up all night. You could look at the City Nightline schedule to see what other overnight trains might be incorporated. 

Date: 04/26/15 10:26
Author: reindeerflame

A better routing would appear to be Lyon-Basel, Basel-Hamburg (CNL sleeping car), Hamburg-Copenhagen, Copenhagen-Stockholm, taking about 26 hours with no middle of the night changes, and no required transfer in Paris between stations.

Just use the German rail website (bahn.com), which is among the best for viewing any European intercity train services.

Date: 04/26/15 17:01
Author: gaspeamtrak

Check out the website www.seat61.com This website is totally awesome check it out!

Date: 04/26/15 17:42
Author: renf

Thank you very much for all the helpful information.  I particualarly appreciate the link to the man in Seat 61 website.  This trip will be very enjoyable.

Ren Farley

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0308 seconds