Home Open Account Help 286 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Next what is it, where is it?

Date: 05/04/15 02:20
Next what is it, where is it?
Author: McKey

What and where might this be?

It is one of my all time favorite designs for this vehicle, bringing back memories of the Science Fiction movies of 1950s, or Art Deco Era structures of the U.S. in 1930s.  Look how clean lines this cab has for controls and how artistic the whole cab in general is!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/15 04:36 by McKey.

Date: 05/04/15 05:43
Re: Next what is it, where is it?

Give a guess, as usual, it is not dangerous! I will guide then forward.

Here comes hint 1: this is what it looks like seen from the corridor...

Date: 05/04/15 07:48
Author: krm152

My guess is some kind of Russian electric in St. Petersburg, Russia.
ALLEN

Date: 05/04/15 07:59

Hmmm, you are quite right, in a sense, congratulations!

This vehicle is from the Soviet period of Russia and they were built in Riga, now capital of independent Latvia. But you can well say it is a Russian / Pansovietic design.

krm152 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My guess is some kind of Russian electric in St.
> Petersburg, Russia.
> ALLEN

Er2 type EMUs were well ahead of time in their modularity and high class design. If you look at "the cockpit", you see how well everything is designed and finished. What I've seen from the same area from the same time period don't look nearly as neat as this. Real windows with wooden framing. All cabinets enclosed by the engineers seat. Look how neatly the windows AND the wall curves, definitelkt something that caused extra effort for the builders. Looking at the technology there were powered modules and nonpowered ones. There were also end modules and middle ones. You could mix and match these modules freely, as long as you had at least one powered module included ;) 

Below another picture of the interior and view from outside. Can you already see how cool this contraption looks like, or will you need some convincing? Yes? No? Once you decide which one to choose I will post some more pics...

Date: 05/04/15 08:07

The above unit(s) have found home at Riga Railway museum, nearby where they were once put together.

Below some more pics from Pääsküla, Tallinn, Estonia, where you can find similar formidable design vehicles!  Would you prefer the modern plastic interior instead of the wooden one... 

Date: 05/04/15 08:46
Author: boejoe

For the first group of photos (part of the quiz) it appears the engineer (driver) had more comfort than the passengers with the wooden benches...

Date: 05/04/15 08:49

Yes, definitely! If the padded chair was better to sit on than the benches...

Date: 05/04/15 13:44
Author: krm152

Thanks much for posting. Really enjoyed seeing and successfully guessing.
ALLEN

Date: 05/05/15 00:15

You're most welcome Allen! There will be more quizzes later...

krm152 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks much for posting. Really enjoyed seeing
> and successfully guessing.
> ALLEN

Below some more views of the ingenious Latvian design. These are same kind of modules, different bogies and powered by diesel at the end module(s). The cab is not quite so roundish, but clearly inheriting some features from the electric units.

Previous pictures were from Estonia, where Tallinn local traffic was handled by these Er2 units, along with their newer cousins, still classified as Er2. These were retired in early 2013. Diesels of Edelaraudtee (Southwestern Railway) were used for regional traffic all around Estonia until 1.1.2014.
How different the paint can make these units to look!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0621 seconds