Home Open Account Help 331 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Three hours in Munich - The locomotive part

Date: 05/19/15 03:07
Three hours in Munich - The locomotive part
Author: E111

Yesterday, May 19, I had a couple of hours to spare and decided to take the train from my hometown to Munich after lunch. Main goal was to take pictures of the quite new Avenio street cars from Siemens (see my previous thread), but I was lucky enough to see a couple of rare locomotives as well:

Picture 1: Swiss Rail Traffic's 487 001 (TRAXX LM F140 AC3), built by Bombardier inmidst a consist of parked Lokomotion locomotives in the Munich-East yard.

Picture 2: Two former DB-locomotives, now in the possesion of Lokomotion, in front of the SRTAG 487. In front is the former 139 555-7, built by Krauss-Maffei and Siemens in 1964 and in the middle the 151 056-9, built by Henschel and BBC (both are now part of Bomabrdier) in 1974. It's noteworthy that both locomotives are wearing the standard Lokomotion blue Zebra look.

Picture 3: This picture shows two of the "strangers" in Lokomotion's roster: To the left is the former DB 151 074-2, also built by Henschel and BBC in 1974) featuring green stripes (it is the only one with green stripes) and entering the yard with its freight-train is 186 285-3, built in 2009 by Bomardier, featuring red stripes and a silver main color. This is one of the six class 186 locomotives Lokomotion leased from Railpool. There are a few other combinations as well, like white reflecting stripes on a white carbody or one unit with red and blue stripes. But, these weren't in today.

There is a part 2 following!

Date: 05/19/15 03:13
Re: Three hours in Munich - The locomotive part

And here is the part 2:

Picture 4: The brand-new Siemens Vectron 193 876 from MRCE, featuring the "25 years of the fall of the Berlin Wall" design parked in Munich Main Station. The two fronts are differently.

Picture 5: The same unit, this time together with the 2014-delivered 245 011, multi-engine (four power units) diesel locomotive built by Bombardier.

Picture 6: And finally, one of the oldest locomotives still in revenue service: 270.10 of SGL leading a ballast train and waiting for the signal to turn green. This unit was built by Krauss-Maffei in 1964 as V 200 124 for the DB

Guess this was enough for just a short stay in the afternoon!

Best,
E111

Date: 05/19/15 08:12
Author: McKey

Whow, what an afternoon in München, what a place to live for a railfan! Thanks especially for an excellent coverage on all kinds of Lokomotion units!

Date: 05/19/15 08:51
Author: YukonYeti

Good stuff... Imagine what you could do in 6 hours.

Yukon Yeti

Date: 05/19/15 11:59
Author: Notch16

V.270.10 made my day. But the Swiss Rail Traffic Bombardier is a close second. Also delighted to see power from the 1960s in any shape or form! Thank you for taking the time to share!

~ BZ

Date: 05/20/15 04:24

Could I ask a couple of questions on Lokomotion, since you published so many interesting pictures of their locomotion. Which routes are they running? Are they running from here on Brenner pass to Italy too?

Here the Lokomotion units are runninhg light in Innsbruck, Austria, probably Brenner being part of their route.

Date: 05/20/15 09:17

McKey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which routes are they
> running? Are they running from here on Brenner
> pass to Italy too?

Right now, Lokomotion is running dual mode traffic from Munich to Italy over the Brenner pass and the Tauern Pass towards East Europe. For these trains, they use their locomotives of the classes 186 (Bombardier, 11 units) and 189 (Siemens, 5 units). For traffic ending / starting in Germany or Austria, they use the remaining locomotives of the classes 139 (8 units), 151 (2 units) and 185 (4 units). Some trains are lead up to Brenner Pass by the non-multi system units and taken over by locomotives owned by RTC (Rail Traction Company) for traction on the Italian side.
And, if you are interested, Lokomotion is owned by the following companies: Brenner Schienentransport AG (20%), Kombiverkehr GmbH & Co KG (20%), Rail Traction Company (30%) and DB Cargo AG (30%). Kombiverkehr also has its own locomotives, but they are registered in the Lokomotion pool.

Below are two pictures: Picture one showing a consist of Kombiverkeher 185 665, an unknown Railpool 186 leased to Lokomotion and the Lokomotion 189 907 in Munich East. Sorry for the bad quality, it was raining heavily on June 1st, 2013 and I'm just showing it for the sake of documentation. Picture 2 is a color-keyed picture taken in Kufstein on March 5, 2013, showing the Railpool 186 102 and 186 106 being readied for overnight. Both units are leased from Railpool to Lokomotion. Being in the area, one should not miss Kufstein!

BR, E111

Date: 05/20/15 09:46

Thank you for the interesting backgrounder...and you really should not apologize for your fine pictures! Sounds like Lokomotion is one of the companies worth following in the future.

Date: 05/21/15 17:45
Author: Wurli1938

#3 has a resemblance to the new Amtrak Sprinter

Posted from Android

Date: 05/22/15 02:14

Aren't these very closely related? If not the same machine 1:1. ;) 

Wurli1938 Wrote:
> #3 has a resemblance to the new Amtrak Sprinter
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 05/22/15 08:19
Author: SOO6617

Wurli1938 Wrote:
> #3 has a resemblance to the new Amtrak Sprinter
>
> Posted from Android

The locomotive in #4 is closely related to the CitySprinter since they are both Siemens products of the same generation. The nearest locomotive in #3 is a Bombardier locomotive which is closely related to NJ Transit's ALP46A locomotives. Visually they are similar, but then except for the Cab Faces all modern European electric locomotives are physically similar, with the exception of cooling grilles, and whether the sides are smooth or ribbed.  

Date: 05/22/15 08:29

Well, looking at these two or three pictures does the close relationships show? It is obvious components have been changed, but otherwise...

Picture below by Richard.

Date: 05/22/15 09:43
Author: wabash2800

Though I'm half German, I'm not crazy about the many strokes, grass blades (or what ever you call it) paint schemes. What's next, camouflage? Each to his own. Am I in the minority? I always liked the solid red and gray.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/15 09:53 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/22/15 10:06

Well, my two cents in the discussion about relationships ;-) Sometimes they are as complicated as the relationships of humans.

NJT ALP45DP: This class is derived from the ALP46(A), which is based on the class 101 for the German Rail (DB) of which a picture is shown below. For the mechanical part, some modifications as can be found on the class 185 / 186 TRAXX-locomotives from Bombardier have been incorporated, mainly for the carbody. The trucks / bogies stayed the same for the ALP45DP, i.e. they are still directly derived from the DB class 101. The electrical part of the ALP45DP has been updated to the one of the class 185 / 186, plus the addition of the dual power supply. So the ALP45DP is a blend of the best parts of those three classes, plus the additions needed for the North American market.

ACS-64: This one is based on the Vectron-type of locomotves as shown in my original picture #4, but with several (and sometimes severe) modifications demanded by the requirements from AMTRAK. The electrical part is quite identical from a design point of view, the mechanical part was modified to meet the requirements of the NEC, the design wishes of AMTRAK, the central coupler and the necessity to source about 90% of the production parts in the United States. And yes, the Vectron is based on what we call commonly "Taurus" (correctly it would be an "Eurosprinter", as only locomotives for the ÖBB, the Austrian Federal Railway can be legally called "Taurus", as the one in my picture McKey showed in his last post), but with a lot of enhancements and new design features (have a look at the trucks / bogies on McKey's pictures #2 and #3 above and note the brake disc locations).

Hopefully, I didn't raise more questions than I answered :-)
E111

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/15 10:09 by E111.

Date: 05/23/15 22:44
Author: Bunny218

Victor,

The DB's official paint scheme remains the solid red with gray trimmings. The crazy looking scheme you refer to with the stripes, belongs to locomotive leasing company "Locomotion Partners", so in other words, they are part of a leasing fleet. I think they are kind of cool, of course each to his own in what one likes. But I hope that helps, and makes you feel better that it's not some crazy new thing the DB is doing!

Bunny218

Date: 05/24/15 18:46
Author: wabash2800

Thanks Bunny. I didn't meant to give the impression that I thought that was a DB scheme as I know better.  I just don't like that "sheets to the wind" scheme. <G>

Incidentally, have any of the Krause Maffei units depicted been saved? I can really relate to them as recall seeing them and also as models owned by my German cousins. They kind of remind me of EMD F units too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/15 18:49 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/25/15 09:18
Author: SOO6617

Bunny218 Wrote:
 The crazy looking scheme
> you refer to with the stripes, belongs to
> locomotive leasing company "Locomotion Partners",
> so in other words, they are part of a leasing
> fleet.

Locomotion is a Railway Undertaking(RU) or a Railway Operating company. They operate Intermodal trains in Germany and Austria. Their partner and part owner Rail Traction Company operates the Intermodal trains in Italy. The newer Vectron, Eurosprinter, and TRAXX locomotives are leased from Railpool GmbH, a German Company with a large fleet of modern locomotives for lease. In turn Railpool GmbH is owned by Oaktree Capital, which is based in Los Angeles, CA.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0813 seconds