Home Open Account Help 215 users online

European Railroad Discussion > New What Is It & Where Is It?

Date: 05/28/15 03:42
New What Is It & Where Is It?
Author: McKey

This "What Is It" might be either very easy or very hard: what kind of machine do you see in the picture?

Again, give a guess if you don't know.

Date: 05/28/15 05:08
Re: New What Is It & Where Is It?
Author: boejoe

Individual is dressed for cold wealther.  White surface on the ground appears to be snow but not much accumulation, if indeed, snow.  Flange at the ground level to his left almost looks like a snow scraper.  Is this some type of maintenance vehicle on rails?

Date: 05/28/15 05:15
Author: ATSF3751

I see part of a thingie I believe is called a "locomotive". I could be wrong.

Date: 05/28/15 06:59
Author: 86235

Probably an SJ somethingorother, they seem to like grey.

Date: 05/28/15 07:22

Well guys, great work! And sorry for being offline for a few hours.

The snowcraper and locomotive parts were just the right adn very shart eyed deduction! Sweden is pretty near to this vehicle too, though you might be surprised where. 

Here is something to give next hint, and I must cofess I'm playing a trick here too, make you think something else than this vehicle actually is... ;)  but still, this is a very common locomotive, so most of you've seen it.

Date: 05/28/15 07:29
Author: E111

Based on the filling lid, the handrails, the position of the snwoplow and the shape of the frame covering, it somehow looks like a Norwegian EL18 in the new stylish grey outfit to me. Just my two cents!

E111

Date: 05/28/15 07:48

Great work E111! It is indeed El18 of NSB in its newest coloring.

And it look like NSB is changing the colors of at least El18 and Bm73bs.

Here are a couple pictures of the newest scheme. Locations are Oslo and Hönefoss, both pics by Ilkka.

Date: 05/28/15 07:53

Next, what the El18 looked like before. Pictures by David and Ilkka.

Date: 05/28/15 08:50
Author: helvknight

That must have been why I was thinking RE460.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/15 03:10 by helvknight.

Date: 05/28/15 09:20

Hmmm, I really wish this fixation with grey as a suitable livery for railway rolling stock will stop. As a rule of thumb it's dull and fashionless.

Date: 05/28/15 21:43

I wish this too! I understand on SJ it is government owned system with bureaucratic gray colors. That will give so much more visibility to the private and/or region/cities' operators, and give them enge in competition. And now it looks like this tendency is somewhat spreading to another govenment run entity NSB. On (most) other vehicles fire engine red is fortunately still ruling...

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm, I really wish this fixation with grey as a
> suitable livery for railway rolling stock will
> stop. As a rule of thumb it's dull and
> fashionless.

Date: 05/28/15 22:04

What do you think all, could we run a little backgrounder on LOK2000 to to provide info for those of our international (read North American) readers who don't yet know that this is not just any loco?  

helvknight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That mist have been why I was thinking RE460.

Here is my 1 cents worth for starting:

Swiss LOK2000 was a huge project in 1980s to early 1990s. I't goal, which succeeded well, was to create a modern powerful multipurpose locomotive to succees all those Re4/4s (now mostly Re4xx) and Re6/6s (Re620). If you climb in the cab, look around and walk through the engine room observing devices there you know why this project was done (I'll post some pictures later on this subject). 
First locomotives created were the SBB Re460 and BLS Re465, both for Swiss use. With slight differences, they both share the stylish Pininfarina looks with spoilers and all (industrial designers are necessary if you wish to succeed in sales too), modern heavy weight AC drive, pressurized cab (like in planes) and a very good crash resistance (for the time). This powerful locomotive is at home with heavy freights as well as fast passenger services. It's 6000 kW + power is enough for acceleration even at the fastest and heavies express trains. And these locos can of course run in multiple when need be. Plus of course, standard to Europe, they feed excess energy back to grid.

1) Re 4/4 to be replaced (happening only now). Picture by Antto. 

2 - 3) Pictures of Re460 (LOK2000) of SBB. Pictures by Antto and Ilkka. 

Date: 05/28/15 22:08

Next to BLS side: Re465 (LOK2000)

As I'm not allowed to publish here some of the pictures, you might look at the 4rail.net older Swiss gallery for dozens of more pics on these locos: http://www.4rail.net/reference_switzerland_gallery1.php

Many of the pics carry add livery, making them colorful and interesting!

Date: 05/28/15 22:17

NSB of Norway and VR-Yhtymä of Finland, along with Hong Kong operator (?) have dozens of LOK2000 units in use, in Hong Kong just two samples. Please note that NSB units also run into Sweden and have often been there for short term lease too, to be used on pulpwood freight.

Here are some Finnish pictures of class Sr2. Pictures by Gerry, Hannu and Matias.

Date: 05/30/15 00:00

Nice snow picture

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0551 seconds