Home Open Account Help 390 users online

European Railroad Discussion > The trams of Brno

Date: 06/01/15 06:13
The trams of Brno
Author: 86235

I don't know that much about trams but I do know that the tram network in Brno is about as impressive as you can get, with street running, private right of way, a fiendishly complex track arrangment in front of Central Station and an eclectic range of designs. So here are a few photos.

A classic CKD-Tatra T3 single car in the pedestrianised centre of Brno

A bi directional Tatra KT8D5 articulated trams approaching the Central Station stop

A Skoda 03T making a stop on Křenová with a Skoda trolley bus tucked in behind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/15 08:25 by 86235.

Date: 06/01/15 06:20
Re: The trams of Brno

Another KT8D5 on a stretch of reserved RoW in the eastern suburbs, not far from the Jewish Cemetary. The Skoda Citigo is my hire car.

A pair of T6A5s on a number 1 service. During rush hours this service invariable warrants either two T3s or two T6A5s in multiple.

One of Brno's most recent types - a Skoda 13T in advertising livery

More from the Czech Republic here http://nick86235.smugmug.com/Trains/2015/Around-the-Czech-Republic-May/i-58n99kL

Date: 06/01/15 08:43
Author: wag216

A great show, many Thanks for sharing , wag216

Date: 06/02/15 08:26
Author: McKey

All that variety of seemingly standard trams...but not quite. Thnaks for sharing these! 

Anyone know if the three section tram was made from two one section ones? Would make sense, since then you don't have to manufacture bogies?

Date: 06/02/15 09:07

The Tatra KT8D5 was a specific design, not kit bashed from spare bits.

Date: 06/02/15 09:36
Author: McKey

OK, the thought that just crossed my mind, how they could had built it very cheaply. Like many ex. Soviet empire countries have had to do.  You see incredible amount of initiative and innovativity now once people are again free to build what they see best.  Like the Guppy-railcar in the other thread ;)

Date: 06/02/15 10:58

I think they are a specific Czech design - for Prague, Brno and Kosice, over 200 were built between 1984 and 1999. They look good at speed on a reserved right of way. They are also bi directional, with a pantograph at both ends.

Date: 06/06/15 17:37
Author: timecruncher

My goodness!  It took a little digging to find a valid link to the transit system's website, but this mid-size city has a tram system the likes of which we haven't seen here in the US since before 1950. 

Beautiful cars, and they seem to fit into traffic as if they have always been there.  As a transit scheduler, I have to admire the efficiency and effectiveness of a real mass transit system.  Great photos, thank you for sharing.

timecruncher

Date: 06/06/15 17:53
Author: 3rd_Raton

timecruncher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My goodness!  It took a little digging to find a
> valid link to the transit system's website, but
> this mid-size city has a tram system the likes of
> which we haven't seen here in the US since before
> 1950. 

Brno tram map at Urban Rail

> Beautiful cars, and they seem to fit into traffic
> as if they have always been there.  As a transit
> scheduler, I have to admire the efficiency and
> effectiveness of a real mass transit system. 
> Great photos, thank you for sharing.

>
> timecruncher

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.064 seconds