Home Open Account Help 368 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Europe Steam where is it?

Date: 06/02/15 11:35
Europe Steam where is it?
Author: andersonb109

We know it's in Europe. And if you read the thread below you know the countries I was in. Thats as much hint as I'll give.

Date: 06/02/15 11:42
Re: Europe Steam where is it?
Author: 86235

Gavle?

Date: 06/02/15 11:45
Author: McKey

Whoow! You managed to capture this locomotive steamed up. Congratulations!  (Bleak are my pictures of the same locomotive cold at stables... ;)

Not to spoil pleasure of guessing from others I'm not telling what this location is.

Date: 06/02/15 11:46

So, you've been there too ;)

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gavle?

Date: 06/02/15 12:32

No I haven't. The loco is a Beyer Peacock 2-2-2 built in Manchester, it's of a type of known as a Jenny Lind. She was the Swedish Nightingale - an operatic soprano who was immensely popular in England (and the USA where she sang at concerts orgainised by P T Barnum), she has a plaque in her memory in Westminster Abbey. In 1847 the London Brighton and South Coast Railway ordered a class of ten 2-2-2 tender locomotives, one of which was named Jenny Lind. They were, like their namesake, very elegant and the name stuck for that particular type of inside cylinder 2-2-2, which continued to be built into the 1860s, which is when 75 appeared. Ironic that a British locomotive, named after a Swedish singer lives and breaths in Sweden.

Date: 06/02/15 12:46

Not Gavle. But close. The loco ran with a train on the main line from the museum at Gavle to Storvik where this photo was taken....turning for the return trip.

Date: 06/02/15 12:47

Once again I seemed to be the only American there (but with 6,000 for the Museum's anniversary celebration who knows for sure...But I was for sure the only one chasing...with two friends from the U.K.). Why more don't come over for this stuff is beyond me. This really was a once in a lifetime experience. More to follow in a new post of some of the other antique locos.

Date: 06/02/15 13:54

Very nice

Date: 06/02/15 17:48
Author: tq-07fan

I can relate. I think my dad and I were the only Americans at the 120th anniversary of the Manx Electric Railway back in 2013. Even though I was thoroughly soaked I have a great time that day.

Jim

Date: 06/03/15 02:37

I'm glad you made there with camera and car, despite others missing!

Any talk, who owns this handsome steam locomotive? It is actually _not_ the one I thought is normally parked at the museum in Gävle. Definitely very close to the model though.

Date: 06/03/15 03:06

According to their website 75 is owned by the museum

Date: 06/04/15 19:40
Author: bakersfielddave

built 1866

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.03 seconds