Home Open Account Help 315 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Denmark: DSB S-Tog Class SA of Copenhagen

Date: 07/09/15 00:24
Denmark: DSB S-Tog Class SA of Copenhagen
Author: McKey

DSB S-tog is running interesting fleet of class SA EMUs in Copenhagen local traffic. These trains have many unique features, following the pattern of Danish railroading that something use in thousands will not be OK for them, but they wish to create their own model, cheaply... Many of the unique features aim for better than normal usability, and definitely many are innovations that are worth closer study.

First set of pictures is of the SA unit along the years from 2003.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/15 04:47 by McKey.

Date: 07/09/15 00:32
Re: Denmark: Class SA Running for DSB S-Tog of Copenhagen

SAs as relatively slow units are run only in the vicinity of Copenhagen, doing what FLIRT2 EMUs do in Oslo, X60s in Stockholm and FLIRT1s in Helsinki.

Any idea what the wires between rail might be here? Or if they are associated with the train ATP train control, and why they were not buried as there might be icing and snowy conditions here regularly? From the disrt it looks like these wires have been there for a longer period so this is obviously not a temporary installation. Also, Denmark is reported to have interference problems with quite normal rolling stock for the surrounding countries (like Germany), so a thought occurred to me that if these srange wires are common, maybe they pick up signals from rolliung stock unintentionally as well? 

Date: 07/09/15 00:51

What is so special here besides outward unusual looks?

7) Module view, see how short this trailer is and how it is equipped with just one axle!

8-9) Inside, to my knowledge this is the first 3,5 meter loading gauge EMU in Nordic, and the space has been used very effectively. Much of the train is built so that it appears almost as one big coach, easy to access and with lots of room for bicycles. Danes are really into biking everywhere.

Date: 07/09/15 00:54
Author: E111

McKey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so a thought
> occurred to me that if these strange wires are
> common, maybe they pick up signals from rolliung
> stock unintentionally as well? 

The two wires between the rails are part of the so called HKT-system (Danish: HastighedsKontrol og Togstop, Speedcheck and Trainstop) which permits trains with an active HKT system in the cab to run without the need for lineside signals. It is somewhat similar to the German LZB (Linienzugebeeinflussung) system used e.g. on the hig-speed roads or the Munich S-Bahn.

E111

Date: 07/09/15 00:54

Couple of more views of the SA (SA-SB-SC-SD+SD-SC-SB-SA) EMUs.

Date: 07/09/15 00:57

Thanks E111! I suppose in München there is no severe interference between locomotives and LZB?

E111 Wrote:
> McKey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > so a thought
> > occurred to me that if these strange wires are
> > common, maybe they pick up signals from
> rolliung
> > stock unintentionally as well? 
>
> The two wires between the rails are part of
> the so called HKT-system (Danish:
> HastighedsKontrol og Togstop, Speedcheck and
> Trainstop) which permits trains with an active HKT
> system in the cab to run without the need for
> lineside signals. It is somewhat similar to the
> German LZB (Linienzugebeeinflussung) system used
> e.g. on the hig-speed roads or the Munich S-Bahn.
>
> E111

Date: 07/09/15 11:08
Author: SOO6617

McKey Wrote:
> Thanks E111! I suppose in München there is no
> severe interference between locomotives and LZB?

If there was any interference the locomotive or EMU would not be certified to operate in Germany. LZB with or without CIR-ELKE is quite extensive in Germany. Bremen - Hamburg - Berlin/Spandau, Mannheim - Basel(Badische Bahnhof), Mannheim - Stuttgart, München - Ulm, Hannover - Kassel - Fulda - Würzburg - Nürnberg. Plus portions of other lines.

Date: 07/09/15 12:38

Thank you SOO! I did not realize this system is so widespread...always something new to learn in railroading, ins't there :D

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0979 seconds