Home Open Account Help 239 users online

European Railroad Discussion > On this day in 1967

Date: 07/09/15 14:53
On this day in 1967
Author: JohnMcIvor

July 9, 1967 was the last day of scheduled steam operations in London as the Southern Region was about to change to electric and diesel traction on the Waterloo to Bournemouth and Weymouth lines. The 12.30pm all Pullman 'Bournemouth Belle' ran from Waterloo for the last time (first photo) though it was diesel hauled as it was decided that the finale should be low-key. The second photo shows Merchant Navy 4-6-2 35030 entering Bournemouth with the final steam hauled 1.25pm Weymouth to Waterloo, and finally the last photo shows the final 'Bournemouth Belle' heading for London running through the small Hampshire station of Micheldever.
Photos copyright John McIvor
svsfilm.com

Date: 07/10/15 06:25
Re: On this day in 1967
Author: Farningham

Thanks for posting those, I remember that day too.
If anyone had mentioned that 48 years later, there would still be half-a-dozen Light Pacifics from the Southern in regular use, and that it would still be possible to travel behind one of them or one of their 'Merchant Navy' siblings on this same main line out of London several times a year,  they would be dismissed as crazy.

Chris Cook

Date: 07/10/15 12:25
Re: On this day in 1967
Author: JohnMcIvor

I agree, it seems unbelievable that so many Bulleid Pacifics were saved. When I saw the last steam trains on the Southern Region on July 9 1967 I really thought that was IT - never again. The railway management at the time was totally hostile to steam and after the end of steam on British Rail in 1968 there was a complete mainline steam ban imposed which took some years to lift. Today's mainline excursion scene has been somewhat compromised by the 'signal passed at danger' incident with 34067 'Tangmere' earlier in the year. A number of mainline trips have been cancelled, but some continue to run for the time being.
John McIvor
svsfilm.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/15 13:25 by JohnMcIvor.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds