Home Open Account Help 281 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Finland: Dejavu...

Date: 07/10/15 02:58
Finland: Dejavu...
Author: McKey

Finnish Haapamäki Museum Locomotive Society owns many treasures from the past 150 years of Finnish railroading. Some are kept in running order, but as it often happens maintenance is limited to amount of work hours volunteers can provide, and most crucial: money. Maybe hundred vehicles are at the moment left outside while another 50 or so have found shelter under the roof of the Haapamäki old quite large roundhouse (this station used to be a major junction in steam days). If you are traveling to Finland, this place is really worth a visit, so contact the volunteer group _before_ you go.

Among other vehicles, some of which I will review later, is one interesting diesel locomotive, that gives me an idea: I've seen this somewhere!

Thanks for any help pinpointing where the model was license built or copied from.

Pictures for recognition below.

Date: 07/10/15 07:16
Re: Finland: Dejavu...
Author: E111

McKey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Among other vehicles, some of which I will review
> later, is one interesting diesel locomotive, that
> gives me an idea: I've seen this somewhere!
>
> Thanks for any help pinpointing where the model
> was license built or copied from.

Hi McKey,

This is a diesel-hydraulic shunter built by Jenbacher in Austria. The ÖBB received 65 units as class 2052 between 1958 and 1966, several others where built for different countries, as well as industrial railways. 

E111

Date: 07/10/15 07:41

Great find, thank you E111!  From the plate it looks like Saalasti (similar Finnish engineering company to original Stadler of Switzerland)  in Finland must have licenced the drawing (happened much in 1950s and 1960s), changed something and built at least this unit. Today it is unfortunately hiding at the utmost back corner of the roundhouse, so not many people visiting the place will ever find it. Looks like the power, 400 hp / 300 kW is quite much for that time period, at least in the Nordic. Must have been quite a tool for its crews long time ago.

It also appears that this locomotive has had some tought work assignments leading to damage. It has been fixed not too neatly here and there sometime.  

Date: 07/10/15 08:20

McKey Wrote:
> Great find, thank you E111!  From the plate it
> looks like Saalasti (similar Finnish engineering
> company to original Stadler of Switzerland)  in
> Finland must have licenced the drawing (happened
> much in 1950s and 1960s), changed something and
> built at least this unit. 

Did a little bit more digging and found that Jenbacher delivered one of their class DH400 locomotives (the manufacturers class name) with the serial number 3.611.084.59 in September 1959 to VR as test unit. It was later transferred to the harbour of Oulu and in 1983 sold to Saalasti, Serlachius Oy, Mäntta and again sold in 1986 to an unknown company. The list of manufacturer numbers from Jenbacher tells us that this was a 1524 mm gauge, 400 hp, 32 t machine, which matches the numbers on the plate quite well. Also, in your third picture, you can the the "JW" (Jenbacher Werke) sign at the top of the cooler grid.

And, you might gain more inside from this webpage (which I cannot read ....):http://vaunut.org/kuva/3923

Interesting find!

E111

Date: 07/11/15 15:38
Author: spandfecerwin

E111 Wrote:
... The ÖBB received 65 units
> as class 2052 between 1958 and 1966, several
> others where built for different countries, as
> well as industrial railways. 

Please let me correct the ÖBB Class, it was the 2062.

Erwin from Austria

Date: 07/12/15 03:58

Thank you very much both, I could not find 2052 either, but 2062 is easy to find!

Date: 07/12/15 09:14

spandfecerwin Wrote
>
> Please let me correct the ÖBB Class, it was the
> 2062.

Erwin,
Thanks for correcting my typo, it simply slipped through!

McKey,
Sorry for letting you search in vein!

Regards from a hot and sunny Bavaria,
Richard

Date: 07/12/15 13:02

No problem, I'm so happy you could lead me to right tracs towards GE-Jengacher. Enjoy sun down there! Much of the Nordic has been cold, cloudy and rainy this year.

E111 Wrote:
> McKey,
> Sorry for letting you search in vein!
>
> Regards from a hot and sunny Bavaria,
> Richard
>
>  

Date: 07/12/15 15:45
Author: spandfecerwin

McKey Wrote:
> No problem, I'm so happy you could lead me to
> right tracs towards GE-Jengacher. ...

GE-Jenbacher since 2003. At the era the loco were built is was Jenbacher Werke AG.

Have a nice evening
Erwin from Austria

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0726 seconds