Home Open Account Help 378 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Poland: Transformations

Date: 07/13/15 00:57
Poland: Transformations
Author: McKey

As a followup to Christoph's thread last week here are some transformation pictures from Poland. Poland is modernizing, fast, included is what is happening on railways.

First is a series of M62/ST44 mutating to 7FDL (GE U.S. often used main engine) powered modern road switcher. This heavy diesel locomotive is (re)built bu Newag, easily recognizable from Newag like cabs at both ends. Many things from waistline down are old M62 looking, while everything above it is new. It appears this is an inexpensive way of renewing aging (mostly) Soviet time locomotion, and giving it much more horsepower and efficiency at the same time. This unit was found being used by DB Schenker for MOW heavy work. Dirt covering it speaks much about the usage.

1) M62 as a starting point for rebuilding (this one was earlier working for Lithuanian railways and might be rebuilt to Tem-Tmh instead).
2) ST44 (Polish M62) as a starting point, seen in Korsze, Poland.
3) And the transformed almost brand new looking heavy road switcher: 311D number 025 (or is this 17? (there seem to be two sets of texts on loco)). Mean looking and powerful! See how the 7FDL production engine barely fits under the hood!      

Date: 07/13/15 05:43
Re: Poland: Transformations

For a comparison here is a Newag E6ACT electric, despite of this being a cowled electric, manufacturer design shows well. LOtos number 008 was shown at Innotrans 2014 in Berlin before it was delivered to the quite large Polish operator. 

Date: 07/13/15 10:35
Author: eminence_grise

The trucks (bogies) and the battery box remain the same.

Date: 07/13/15 10:45

Yes, isn't this an interesting cross bred locomotive! But definitely very effective.

Date: 07/14/15 01:19

Next transformed unit online is the Lotos owned SM42 (very common in Poland) rebuilt to 6Dy. Both kinds of units are working side by side in Gdansk / Gdynia area. It appears this 6Dy unit might actually be the prototype, not painted to Lotos normal blues. 

Date: 07/14/15 03:12

It crossed my mind that rebuilt SM42 locomotive has certain design similarities with Voith Gravita design, seen below. Pictures from Innotrans Fair, Berlin, Germany. Maybe they hired the same industrial designer?

Try to find a direct line from Voith... ;)

Date: 07/14/15 03:15

A few more pics of SM42 to 6Dg modifications. Notice how the frame and bogies/trucks of the older loco is slightly different from what is seen most often on SM42.

Date: 07/14/15 12:06
Author: chs7-321

Eeeh.....give me the classic M62 body over whatever THAT is any day........

Date: 07/14/15 22:37

Say that, how different tastes in various parts of the World are! To my tastes too M62/2M62/3M62 are exceptionally well designed and proportional from the industrial design view point in addition to their durable low technology. Probably something that made this type very popular anywhere on 1520 mm domain except in Estonia. But the brand new "Camelback" (311D) looks mean and serious business like too, don't you agree? 

Date: 07/20/15 22:15
Author: Bunny218

I have to agree with chs7-321's comments - give me a classic M62 any day! Just typical of how ugly new stuff is compared to older classic designs, no matter where one is located in the world - same problem all over just with different locomotives.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0768 seconds