Home Open Account Help 245 users online

European Railroad Discussion > British Whistle signals

Date: 07/19/15 06:42
British Whistle signals
Author: Grande473

My brother and I will be riding the Jacobite in September. What will be the whistle signals we will hear and what are their meanings? Thanks

Date: 07/19/15 09:36
Re: British Whistle signals
Author: 86235

As the RoW in the UK is fenced the horn/whistle is usually only used when passing a lineside sign instructing the driver to sound a warning or if someone or something is encroaching on the RoW. There's no automatic sounding of the horn/whistle at grade crossings for instance. I guess on the Jacobite there may be a fair amount of whistling, but I suspect it will be rather more for effect than anything. I've ridden a DMU over the line and I certainly don't remember excessive use of the horn.

Date: 07/19/15 09:40
Author: andersonb109

And when a whistle is used for an unprotected level crossing, there seems to be no set pattern to that use.  Makes for a much more enjoyable video in my view.

Date: 07/19/15 09:48
Author: andersonb109

And to wet your whistle so to speak, here's a photo from the anual Scotish photo bash taken a few years ago. Have a great trip (and bring an umbrella).

Date: 07/20/15 20:11
Author: illini73

You might want to check this out:

www.britishrailways.info

Go to the "Engineering" tab on the left side of the page, then the "Signals" tab from the Engineering page, then the "Audible Signals" tab from the Signals page.  A bit of familiarity with British Railway terms and methods of working might be necessary, for example "loop" means "siding", "down" means "to London", and so forth*.

*Oops - as several have pointed out, trains run "up" to London - a "down train" is moving away from London.  I must have been in a state of momentary confusion last night when I wrote that, as I do know better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/15 13:28 by illini73.

Date: 07/20/15 20:32
Author: airbrakegeezer

illini73 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might want to check this out:
>
> www.britishrailways.info
>
> Go to the "Engineering" tab on the left side of
> the page, then the "Signals" tab from the
> Engineering page, then the "Audible Signals" tab
> from the Signals page.  A bit of familiarity with
> British Railway terms and methods of working might
> be necessary, for example "loop" means "siding",
> "down" means "to London", and so forth

Umm, pardon me, but in my (admittedly elderly) memory, "down" means away from London, while "up" means toward London; that's what my very proudly English railwayman grandfather taught me, anyway!
Nick (86235), spflow and others please correct me if I'm mistaken...
Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer).

Date: 07/21/15 01:10

Up is most definitely towards London, in England at least; never been sure whether it's Edinburgh or Glasgow in Scotland

Date: 07/21/15 06:28
Author: spflow

86235 Wrote:
> Up is most definitely towards London, in England
> at least; never been sure whether it's Edinburgh
> or Glasgow in Scotland

And which way is up on the Lickey Incline?  Towards Derby I suppose.

Date: 07/22/15 02:02

.spflow Wrote:
> And which way is up on the Lickey Incline? 
> Towards Derby I suppose.

I would guess Bristol to Birmingham and Derby on the Midland would be the Up direction. But what about the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, which had no line orientated towards London? Their HQ was Manchester Victoria so one assumes trains towards Manchester were Up.

Date: 07/22/15 09:16
Author: Grande473

Thanks for your replies.

Date: 07/24/15 06:54
Author: driver

On the Midland it is UP to Derby. Eveything else is Up to London.

Steve

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds