Home Open Account Help 311 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Watching Finse Web Cam...?

Date: 07/27/15 19:44
Watching Finse Web Cam...?
Author: gaspeamtrak

I was watching the "Finse Web Cam" at 0110 local time,I live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada so they are 6 Hours ahead of me. There was a westbound freight in the siding heading to Bergen waiting. I knew the night train (passenger) east bound to Oslo was due in Finse at 01:41.Then at 01:15 the lights start flashing that there is a eastbound coming! What the heck! Then a eastbound freight goes through. Then the westbound leaves as soon as the eastbound clears! Then within 5 to 10 minutes another westbound freight pulls in on the siding! Then the night train (passenger) pulls in a few minutes late and the westbound freight for Bergen pulls out as soon as he clears the switch!
I hope I have explained what I saw in the half hour, 4 trains passing through Finse, that everybody can understand. I have never seen this many trains that close together since I have stared watching this web cam.
So my question is: those two westbound freights within 15 minutes heading for Bergen each had 25 to 30 cars each with 2 containers on some of the cars could the yard in Bergen handle both trains? I know the yard is not very big!
How many freight trains are there each way between Oslo and Bergen?
Thanks for any info! Just a curious Canadian!!! :)
Again I hope I haven't confused anybody...

Date: 08/03/15 11:09
Re: Watching Finse Web Cam...?
Author: McKey

What you must have seen are some of the CargoNet intermodal trains. They are headed mostly by TRAXX F140 AC2 German classified as 185 for Railpool. Railpool has leased these units for CargoNet. Reading Norwegian train magazines it also seems like one of the earlier Beacon rail owned CE119:s (earlier TRAXX F140 AC2 model) is back in duty too. And to the joy of everyone, many El14 are now back at work! Just half a yaer ago they were retired after long and meaningful career for NSB and then CargoNet (CargoNet is a freight arm for NSB, which is Norwegian state railways).

Did the locomotives look any like these?
1) Railpool leased TRAXX
2) CE119 TRAXX
3) El14  

I've never seen El14 at work but would very much like to see it pulling a train in the mountains...

Date: 08/03/15 17:41
Author: gaspeamtrak

I think one of the units was possibly a "El14" heading to "Bergen".
Do you know how many container trains run each way from Bergen to Oslo?
Thanks...

Date: 08/06/15 14:36
Author: SOO6617

The schedule used to be in the public area of the Cargonet website, but it is now requires a User ID and password to access. They were running 6 trains each way from Alnabru terminal near Oslo to Bergen. Alnabru IM terminal is closer to Lillestrom than to Oslo. Most freight uses the line from Roa and then joins the Bergen line at Hanefoss.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0546 seconds