Home Open Account Help 297 users online

European Railroad Discussion > KISSes from Austria

Date: 09/01/15 03:50
KISSes from Austria
Author: McKey

One of the interesting business start ups in Austria is the Westbahn, owned by 4 separate companies (so this is a private company in contrast to dominating state owned railways). One of these is not surprisingly SNCF, always willing to learn something new on running trains. Yet, here they only own 25% of the shares so they might also be providing some experience on running a railway service. 

Westbahn has run route between Wien Westbahnhof / previous Wien station and Salzburg (two different stations) from September 2013. As usual the first years have been or will be in red, but profitable operations are envisioned already in 2017. Competition is mostly ÖBB (Austrian Railways) and to some extent also DB (German Railways). It is likely Westbahn "route network" will grow wider in the future as the first steps into successful operations have been achieved.

Westbahn rolling stock since 2013 has been seven Stadler Rail built KISS EMUs. These have 6 double decked  (for shorter walking distance on ground) truly low floored modules and are accessible with baby carts, luggage and wheelchairs unlike competition, meaning can you just walk or roll in. Now Westbahn has anounced they will purchase another 10 units for 180 million euros / ~200 m USD. One of these will also be 6 module unit, but the rest are to be built with 4 modules. If you think the effective operating combinations using two lengths of these trains will allow by mixing them, they are numerous. In addition this will enable Westbahn to serve smaller routes with growing patronage.

Due to this investment Westbahn has announced they will need 150 persons more to their staff, always good news in tought times like these.

Let's take a look at the KISS train sets from outside. All pictures from Salzburg Main (Hbf) by Ilkka.

In the third picture you can notice that these trains are actually registered to Switzerland as class 4010 (what class is that...not being 500s? Doesn't this series basically belong to Austrian EMUs?). But as the open access conditions are spreading among European Union countries, and Switzerland and Norway outside these, running anywhere is basically possible.

Date: 09/01/15 03:56
Re: KISSes from Austria

Fourth picture symbols of a wheelchair and baby definitely is a thorn in the competitors flesh as only Westbahn can offer low floor.

In the sixth the main competior ÖBB with its high floor Railjet units is also seen. Both companies run this part of the route, though the focus is slightly different. 

Date: 09/01/15 04:07

It appears buying tickets couldn't be easier (OK, you need a smart phone with a reader).

Basically you take a picture of the route, say Hütteldorf to Wien West, rectangle, which your smart phone recognizes as a web page address leading straight to the right choise. Next you OK the choise. However the text above these say you will also have to pay in the trains so mobile payment is not yet working here.

As I don't have this kind of reader installed so I wonder if the procedure really follows all these steps or if other payments options like credit card of phone are already there? Note: I can't take any responsibility on what happens (its is a train company provided link) so be careful.

Date: 09/01/15 04:34

I installed the app and it appears my phone took me to Westbahn site with Hütteldorf too Wien Westbahnhof chosen. So this seems to be just a secure web page. It is difficult to estimate if the travelling is cheap or expensive, but it appears their website also has a lot of choises. And trains also seem to run from Wien (Austria) to huge München airport (Germany) at a bargain price.   

Date: 09/01/15 05:51
Author: twin_star_rocket

Even the photo you posted comes up in my reader Wein Westbahnhof to Wein Hütteldorf is 3 Euros.

Brian Ehni

Date: 09/01/15 06:31

Good to hear! To grab the screenshots I went ot my PC, which does not seem to produce the 3 euros nor route preselection with this url. Grabbing the picture of a QR code and recognizing the address on PC migfht of course be a very difficult operation ;) 

twin_star_rocket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even the photo you posted comes up in my reader
> Wein Westbahnhof to Wein Hütteldorf is 3 Euros.
>
> Brian Ehni

Date: 09/01/15 08:59
Author: chs7-321

I used Westbahn for the Linz-Salzburg segment of my Prague-Salzburg trip on the morning of May 22nd.  You don't need really need a QR-code reader to purchase tickets....just go onto their website on the smartphone's browser, do the purchasing process, get the PDF in the e-mail, and open it to the QR-code to be scanned.  That's what I did.

While this works for most, for those without a smartphone, you have to do go to their site on a PC, buy, and then print the PDF.   Not good if you're on the road.   I think they could do well by installing one or two ticket machines at their stations.  It can't cost THAT much.

Late evening of the same day, I used an OBB Railjet for Salzburg-Vienna.  Comparison summary:  while Westbahn presents a more friendly and "informal" image, the seat layout does feel a little "regional train" like, and I'm not sure about its comfort for a 3-hour ride...particularly on a heavily loaded service.  The Railjet on the other hand, felt more...er..."refined", and comfortable.

Date: 09/01/15 09:09

Great to hear your trip report Chs! What do you think about the train behavior on KISS, how did it run? I suppose the stretch you were travellings is at least partly 200 km/h / 125 mph running, if not all?

Really, not tickets except online? Sounds like idTGV of France to me... (if I've read right how it works)

chs7-321 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used Westbahn for the Linz-Salzburg segment of
> my Prague-Salzburg trip on the morning of May
> 22nd.  You don't need really need a QR-code
> reader to purchase tickets....just go onto their
> website on the smartphone's browser, do the
> purchasing process, get the PDF in the e-mail, and
> open it to the QR-code to be scanned.  That's
> what I did.
>
> While this works for most, for those without a
> smartphone, you have to do go to their site on a
> PC, buy, and then print the PDF.   Not good if
> you're on the road.   I think they could do well
> by installing one or two ticket machines at their
> stations.  It can't cost THAT much.
>
> Late evening of the same day, I used an OBB
> Railjet for Salzburg-Vienna.  Comparison
> summary:  while Westbahn presents a more friendly
> and "informal" image, the seat layout does feel a
> little "regional train" like, and I'm not sure
> about its comfort for a 3-hour ride...particularly
> on a heavily loaded service.  The Railjet on the
> other hand, felt more...er..."refined", and
> comfortable.

Date: 09/02/15 06:28
Author: helvknight

I used it earlier in the year, you buy your tickets online or you can also buy them from many local newsagents or from the guard. I don't recall if there's a penalty for buying on the train. 

The train was just like the Zürich suburban units I use at home (not surprising, my local line also uses KISSes) but with quite comfy leather seats. 

I was in the business class area (a small supplement) and was somewhat pampered. Westbahn use quite a few on-train staff so the revenue and drinks/snacks etc are covered well. 

The day I travelled they had coupled 2 units together, both reasonably full and split the train at Linz. I was travelling to Wels so had to go in the front unit. At the back of the train there were staff at each door so they made sure you went to the right unit. The stop at Linz only took a couple of minutes.

IIRC they were about 30% cheaper than OeBB. 

All in all I was impressed. 

Date: 09/02/15 08:14

Thank you helvknight for interesting trip report and analysis! Are you using these trains: http://www.4rail.net/reference_switzerland_gallery2_emus.php#sbb_c511

Sorry, I'n not allowed to post a picture here.

SBB RABe 511 look pretty much the same as Westbahn trains.

Date: 09/03/15 10:43
Author: helvknight

Yes, those are they. One of my main S-Bahn routes, the S12 (Brugg - Baden, where I live - Zürich - Winterthur) is operated mainly by RABe 511-0s, normally singles but doubled up to give 12 double deck coaches in the peak. (there's also an RABe-1 which has 4 coaches, we currently see these on the IR from Basel to the Airport using the Zürich HB avilding line at Altstetten)  

The other S-Bahn route, the S6 which goes Baden - Regensorf-Watt - Zürich - Uetikon along the Furttal line, uses RABe514s - despite the higher number they are somewhat older than the 511s. 

Date: 09/09/15 13:48
Author: spandfecerwin

The trains were extracted out of the production of the Swiss 511 S-Bahn mu´s.

ÖBB series 4010 was the figurehead of the ÖBB for a long time like the Railjet now.

Wetbahn is the line Vienna - Salzburg since it is opened 1860, but it is not a trade mark.

The company Westbahn picked up both terms.

Ticketing is easy. Enter the train and buy the ticket inside. Pay with Euro or credit card.

Erwin from Austria

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0941 seconds