Home Open Account Help 243 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Borders Railway to open next Wednesday

Date: 09/02/15 02:02
Borders Railway to open next Wednesday
Author: 86235

Queen Elizabeth is due to open the new 35 mile Borders Railway from Edinburgh to Tweedbank next Wednesday, September 9th. This is the restoration of trains over the northern third of the North British Railway's Edinburgh to Carlisle Waverley Route which was closed, and ripped up, amidst great controversy back in 1969. The railway has been rebuilt, primarily as a single track route but with double track sections and will support a half hourly service betwen Tweedbank and Edinburgh. Scotrail are planning to operate a steam hauled service over the line during its first two weeks.

http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/launch-information/opening-celebrations.aspx

Whether this will lead to further pressure to restore the remainder of the line remains to be seen. The towns of Melrose and Hawick (pronounced Hoick) would certainly benefit as would forestry in and around Kielder in Northumberland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/15 02:02 by 86235.

Date: 09/02/15 16:27
Re: Borders Railway to open next Wednesday
Author: bakersfielddave

yes i hope so 

i shall be riding it in early to mid  November

will post pictures when i get back after 4 weeks vacation  in the UK

i think i will miss the A4  steam hauled services however

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/15 16:27 by bakersfielddave.

Date: 09/04/15 08:17
Author: DrawingroomA

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Queen Elizabeth is due to open the new 35 mile
> Borders Railway from Edinburgh to Tweedbank next
> Wednesday, September 9th.

The 9th is a significant day for The Queen. On that day HM will become the longest-reigning British (and Canadian, etc.!) monarch, surpassing the lengthy reign of Queen Victoria. Opening a railway is a wonderful way to celebrate this occasion.  I wish I could be there.

Date: 09/04/15 14:01
Author: SD70M

I'm doing the "Border Reiver" railtour on 18/19th September,which traverses this line, it will be my first overnight on a train for some years, although I recently spent nights at places such as Kearney NE, Rochelle IL and Dalton GA watching trains all night.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0289 seconds