Home Open Account Help 325 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Paris Miscellany

Date: 11/08/15 15:33
Paris Miscellany
Author: dwatry

Here are a few shots from around Paris from a work trip I made earlier in the week.  I did not think I would have any time for train riding or photography so I did not take my "real" camera, so I apologize for the quality of a few of the celphone photos, especially as it got dark.  

1.  Eastbound RATP Tram 3a near Porte de Orleans Metro.  Note fully grassed-in trackway.
2.  Westbound RATP Tram 3a near Porte de Orleans Metro. 
3.  Westbound RATP Tram 3a near Cite Univeristaire RER station.

Date: 11/08/15 15:38
Re: Paris Miscellany

4.  Southbound RER Line B train at Cite Universitaire.
5.  Northbound RER Line B train at Cite Universitaire
6.  View down platform of southbound RER Line B train at Cite Universitaire.

Date: 11/08/15 15:42

7.  Westbound RER Line A train at Vincennes.
8.  Eastbound RER Line A train at Vincennes.
9.  Eastbound single-level RER Line A train at Vincennes meeting westbound double-deck train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/15 16:15 by dwatry.

Date: 11/08/15 15:57

10.  Eastbound RER Line A train coming out of tunnel near Vincennes.  Getting a bit dark for the old celphone...
11.  Metro train at Montparnasse.
12.  Busking mini-orchestra - I think this was at Chatelet.  Sounded professional quality!

Date: 11/08/15 16:03

13.   I'm a sucker for good lit signage - especially neon - so this sign at Porte d'Orleans Metro really caught my eye.
14.  Similarly - this Alsatian brasserie had some unbelievable signage.  Not to mention the choucroute, which was excellent. 

Date: 11/09/15 05:11
Author: ATSF3751

Beautiful city....remarkable transit system.  Thank you for sharing.

Date: 11/09/15 10:27
Author: McKey

Thanks for the views! Those must be the longest Alstom Citadis trams I've seen so far. Judging from how the door sections are located this tram must have plenty of room for standees, bikes, scooters, baby carts, grocery carts, wheel chairs, vehicles of all kinds. :)

Date: 11/09/15 10:39

Yes the trams are really nice - they are operated kind of like a mini-Metro.  They are all in reserved ROW (grassy ROW), and they move right along.  Not quite as fast as a Metro line but faster than a bus.  There appears to be signal priority at the street crossings, and of course - all door boarding with proof of payment. 

Date: 11/09/15 11:27

These are not visible in your pictures, but did you notice special lights / signals for trams only? In cities like Nice these seem to give trams first priority at crossings. 

Date: 11/09/15 14:32

Did  not notice any. 

Date: 11/10/15 01:40

Ok, might be that they are not used in Paris. I will try to look fro those when next time around there.

Date: 11/13/15 18:32
Author: chakk

Glad that you are safely out. I hear the borders are now all closed and the city is locked down.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/14/15 10:25
Author: chs7-321

chakk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glad that you are safely out. I hear the borders
> are now all closed and the city is locked down.
>

"Closing of borders" = implementation of border controls for ALL entering the country by air or land (i.e. temporary suspension of the Schengen rules).  It does NOT mean sealing the country off......

Date: 11/14/15 19:17
Author: Geodyssey

chs7-321 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> chakk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Glad that you are safely out. I hear the
> borders
> > are now all closed and the city is locked down.
> >
>
> "Closing of borders" = implementation of border
> controls for ALL entering the country by air or
> land (i.e. temporary suspension of the Schengen
> rules).  It does NOT mean sealing the country
> off......

It should surprise no one that when you allow jihadis into your country, you will experience jihad. Stop the hijra (immigration to spread Islam), stop the problem.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0909 seconds