Home Open Account Help 267 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Unexpected Steam in London

Date: 11/14/15 06:51
Unexpected Steam in London
Author: dwatry

We were out for a walk in the vicinity of London Bridge Station this morning, standing on London Bridge to see the Lord Mayor's Flotilla go underneath.  All of a sudden I heard a loud steam whistle, and could see steam and smoke coming from the viaduct over Borough Market.  Jackpot, I thought!  I had just checked UK Steam Tours website and knew that there were no scheduled steam excursions on the south side of London today, so I thought I had lucked into something unusual or unscheduled.  Then look at what appeared from UNDER the rail viaduct - a War Department (1914-1917) steam traction engine, just running on the city streets, pulling a cannon!  It was going to be in the Lord Mayor's Parade, but was stuck in traffic!  Interesting to watch the crew control it in stop-and-go traffic.   And if you haven't been up close to one of these - the smell of coal smoke is pretty much the same coming from one of these as from a locomotive. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/15 06:56 by dwatry.

Date: 11/14/15 06:58
Re: Unexpected Steam in London
Author: spflow

Thanks, great stuff!

You would have thought they would be allowed to use the bus lane.....

Date: 11/14/15 07:03
Re: Unexpected Steam in London
Author: dwatry

Yes, I would have thought that being late for participation in the Lord Mayor's Parade would get you bus lane privileges!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds