Home Open Account Help 209 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Finland: construction around metro station

Date: 11/26/15 11:17
Finland: construction around metro station
Author: Stas

Last weekend I was at Kalasatama ("Fish harbour") metro station and found some things interesting enough to take photos. At a moment a huge construction going around the area to convert former Eastern harbour into a living district. This was, actually, the harbour, where railway, encircling Helsinki was ending. It was from the Western to Eastern harbours plus along the shore of the city center. The railway existed almost from the first days of rail traffic in Finland. And Eastern part gone the last. But the first in this conversion project Kalasatama metro station was built several years ago.
So, what I found curious. On the first photo the metro bridge is on high pillars looks like some mountain railway. But this summer, exactly this part of the track was resting on a solid rock, before continuing to the bridge over the bay. The rock was removed and leveled for construction, car road that runs in parallel is temporarily doing a loop around this construction area.
I'm always amazed how fast Finnish builders remove the rocks.

Second photo. Side view of the station surrounded by construction.

Date: 11/27/15 04:41
Re: Finland: construction around metro station
Author: McKey

Thanks Stas, a great story on what happens around the newest shopping center near the center of Helsinki! It was amazing how they built those metro bridge pillars when they still were surrounded by base rock. It is each time quite "exciting" driving on the temporary steel bridge next to 100 meters deep cut, which extends all the way to tunnels under the city. Fortunately it looks like the buildings are becoming reality really fast so in two weeks the side where the 6 lane highway has some concrete next to it.  

Here is something more on "Redi" shopping center location past: http://www.redi.fi/en/the-story/

I suppose Redi here means more of a location for ships to wait before arriving to harbor than just English word ready (which is two years away from the opening currently). ;)

Date: 11/29/15 05:26
Author: Stas

I'm planning to have a walk along all removed railway and see what's left. In Pasila a lot of fast changes is going on too.
It's strange feeling that I can say: I remember here was ...    Makes me feel old :)
Want to join me for this walk?

Date: 11/30/15 01:02
Author: McKey

Just be careful in the tunnel section, it is supposed to be dangerous there (not the structures but the inhabitants). Sorry, no time for this time travel at the moment, basically I like to focus more to present and future of railroading than just past. However, I enjoy your reports here very much, so keep them coming!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds